diyAudio (
-   Parts (
-   -   Select switch actuator (

grummaniser 30th September 2008 05:16 PM

Select switch actuator
2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone any idea what these things are called and whether they can be bought any more? This is the mechanical connection between the front panel knob and the i/p selector switch on a Denon PMA-1060 amp but I'm sure I've seen them in all sorts of other equipment. I think the switch on the end is made by Alps but haven't managed to locate one on their site. Not knowing what to call it makes it harder!

In case it's not clear, it is a flexible strip of steel enclosed in a plastic ladder-like outer and operates just like a Bowden cable, capable of transmitting pull and push forces to operate the switch.

This one is broken at the front panel (just out of picture) and is the only thing wrong with this amp, so it would be nice to get it working.

This is the first time I've posted an image on this site so I've put it on my old site too at


hifimaker 30th September 2008 05:51 PM

These switches were the rage in the late 80's and into the 90's. Adcom used these quite a bit. The marketing hype was improved sound due to a reduced signal path. This was a cheap way to not have to upgrade to good hook-up wire. Nothing inherently wrong with this type of switch, just the marketing spin.

The switch name escapes me though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio