Isolated gate drive IC is finally HERE!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if this is old news to you, but I thought that this product would be of use to anyone interested in:

Class-D amplifiers

Switchmode power supplies

Anything that requires a "high side" gate drive for a high side transistor (or any power transistor switch that does not have its source referenced to ground)

Look at the ADUM6132 from Analog Devices:
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADuM6132.pdf

All you have to do is provide it with:

[1] Ground referenced power supplies of 5V and 15V (the 15V supply may not even be needed - see datasheet)

[2] Ground referenced switching inputs ("switch gate on" or "switch gate off", standard 5V logic will do)

[3] Two "current buffer" transistors (NPN and PNP) - as the isolated output is only rated for up to 200mA in short transients (source or sink), the datasheet recommends adding an extra discrete buffer pair to the output for transient gate driving currents exceeding half an amp or so. This is often the case when using IGBTs and beefy MOSFETs.

[4] Proper decoupling capacitors

That's it! The high side floating supply voltage and gate drive voltage are made for you! No more need for expensive optocouplers to isolate your logic signal to your high side transistor switch!

Disclaimer: I, in no way, work for, or am paid to endorse Analog Devices products. I'm mentioning this particular product because it's about time something like this showed up!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.