Powering a fan for amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built a diy amplifier. It is running quite hot so i got myself a 12Vdc,0.13A fan. I am running the fan from an auxilary 9-0-9 transformer. I put 2 diodes and a 2200uF capacitor to make a rectifier.The fan is running but the voltage i measure across the fan is 7.69V dc. I don't understand why. Does anyone know y this is so ?

Buzzy said:
Its a 6VA transformer.....I paralleled the secondaries....

6VA probably has a secondary winding resistance really, really high.

I agree a schematic will help. you can't parallel a CT transformer unless you physically break the CT and parallel the two windings (one of my favorite tricks with cheap trannies ;) )

Cheers!

Another trick!
First check your fan is it work properly or maybe not , if the fan is somehow mechanical problem, it can pull a lot more current than nominal.
If the fan is o.k, (you should try to connect other fan), than measure voltage without load, than with soft start board only, and with the fan and you'll see where disappear the voltage.
I think that your trafo. is too low rated power 6VA only, but try with this :
Use full wave rectifier bridge connected to the both ends of the transformer and you'll get around 24 volts unstable voltage, and than just use a 7812 volt. regulator, In my case mounted on the metal chassis for eventual cooling, and that's it, you'll get now 12 volts for youur fan...work finished.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.