Metal strength for enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2008, 12:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Metal strength for enclosure

I am looking for a piece of steel or aluminum 15" by 15" to support approximately 30 pounds. Is there a "thickness" calculator, or approximation, to tell me how thick of a sheet of steel or aluminum I would need?
Old 6th September 2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Some more details of the application would be helpful. How will the weight be spread over the plate? How will the plate be supported?
Old 6th September 2008, 02:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry about the lack of detail!

The main object to support is a 25 pound toroid transformer. The toroid transformer is about 12" in diameter. I am looking for a solid base to set it on. The plate would have four rubber feat beneath it.

--> I used to use a sheet of aluminum to support a similar sized toroid for a different project. After I disassembled the project, I realized that the aluminum sheet I used wasn't strong enough because there was a large indent in the metal where the toroid had been mounted.
Old 6th September 2008, 04:13 PM   #4
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

how high do you plan on dropping it from?
Old 6th September 2008, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think it might be more practical to use thin metal, but reinforce it with "L"-shaped (as seen end on) cross members.
Old 6th September 2008, 08:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thin channel stock may also be used. It provides a little more rigidity, so it can support even more weight. A couple of strips spaced beneath the toroid should do.

It, as well as L stock, can lift toroid off the plate for ventilation.

Hide this!Advertise here!