Tired of paying too much: Parts Retailers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't been in this game as long or as devotedly as some, but I'm tired of either horribly over paying at the (very) few local retailers, or wasting my time scrounging for parts from discarded electronics.

I need a better source for all categories of larger and mechanical parts: panel mounted pots and jacks, cable, plugs, etcetera.

Where do you go? Online retailers with good shipping rates to (western) Canada are preferable.

Semis, resistors and the like I get from digikey and I don't mind the prices too much.

I have done business with Apex Jr numerous times and I always have prompt top service. Prices are good too. Among the cheapest place to get wire.

As for connectors, I buy them in bulk from China supplies, often through ebay.

For Chassis, Well, I've tried everything, yet to find the perfect solution. I have been using a supplier from china recently, but to keep shipping costs down, it typically takes 2-3 months to arrive, and has often arrived with minor damage. None the less, its always been the lowest price.

Surplus stores are definitely your friend, I use numerous surplus stores, besides apex jr, to get my parts. That tends to be your best bet for things like heatsinks, fans, etc.

Ebay is good, but risky. There are a lot of people selling fakes of common "audiophile" tweaky parts. I see deals on things like opamps all the time, but am always reluctant to buy these through ebay. Certain elna, Nichicon, and panasonic caps can be a dangerous area too. At the same time, many of these parts are so cheap through ebay that it may be worth the risk. I have purchased some Elna Cerafines through ebay, they weren't fakes, and the price was quite a bit better than through other places.

Hello Tim, I haven't bought from apexjr. but they seem to have a good rep. I would agree with Sy and pjpoes about ebay. I can also suggest salvaging larger things like heatsinks and cases from old equipment you find at yardsales, flea markets, etc. You might also keep an eye open to the for sale sections here on diyaudio. It's possible you might find what you are looking for there. And if you are real nice, there is the possibility that you may find some generous people here that will give you things if you are willing to cover shipping costs.;) :D

Peace,

Dave

Steve @ ApexJR is a great guy and loves dealing with Canucks :)

I carry a few parts as well (see sig).

Ebay is awesome for small parts and orders where a normal retailer will kill you with S&H or under $50 order surcharge. dpi4parts and West Florida Components for example I have dealt with for years with no trouble :)

Digikey.ca has a Winnipeg warehouse and they don't nail you with brokerage (they use Purolator).

Cheers!

How do you go about ordering from ApexJr?

All his page has is an order form (to print out and do by hand? Can't type into it..). He accepts only checks, cash, money orders, so if I have to mail him something to get things moving, how can I find out how much to send? How do you know what shipping is?

Or does every order require a daytime telephone call to him first?
It looks like he has some good stuff, but not easy to get at!

for audio tweaky-overpriced parts I use Michael Percy. Mostly if I have a friend who wants silver wire, MIT caps, etc.

Parts Express has a nice selection of capacitors, connectors and they don't charge an arm-n-leg for shipping (at least in the states).

Mouser for KOA resistors

Digikey for resistors, caps, PEC volume controls, solid-state devices, knobs and other do-dads

Antique Electronic Supply for tubes, Hammond iron, knobs, etc

and I also use Ebay for lots of capacitors, tube sockets, RCA jacks, current meters, Russian parts n' tubes, etc etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.