Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Your pick for best regulator needed for -5V 30mA

I'd appreciate your input on best regulator to build a -5V supply being used to power an active I/V circuit for DAC.

One's I've googled include LM7905 and AN79L05. Which is best, or is there another preference?

Thanks!
Old 4th August 2008, 07:04 PM   #2
TerryC is offline TerryC  United States
diyAudio Member

I doubt there is a significant difference between any of the XX05 3-terminal regulators. I really like Per Anders super regulator boards, but if you must use a drop in replacement, these Dexa regulators look like a good value...

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalo...onductors.html
Old 4th August 2008, 07:23 PM   #3
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Are you trying for a drop in replacement for a pre-existing circuit or looking for a chip you can design around?

In my opinion Linear Technologies makes among the best regulators, with a few National Semi and Sanyo's that are also not so bad. I really like the LT1175 and LT1185 if you can design your own regulator board. Their suggested design is pretty good too, not a lot of tweaking needed. Biggest issue with the LT regulators is that most of them are only available in surface mount now a days. However I think you could make a small drop in surface mount to 3 pin as a replacement for a typical 3 pin regulator. Most feel that the adjustable regulators offer better regulation than the non-adjustable fixed regulators that are so common. Having said that, I think you fill find that the design of the circuit will have a greater impact than simple chip selection. Of course they need to be addressed together, a better chip with a better regulator chip will be better, but don't neglect the rest.
Old 10th August 2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,
For 30 ma I think I would use a shunt regulator rather than series pass.
Old 19th August 2008, 06:06 PM   #5
MaKari is offline MaKari  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi

LM337L is still usefull. Please, check National Semic... Data sheet.
With TL431 or LM4041 reference You can do shunt or series regulator (Pass transitor needed). From data sheets You can find some applicaton examples. All are available "DIY compatible" TO-92 package.
Old 21st August 2008, 10:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Your help please with IN/Out wiring for this Reg board

Thanks for the suggestions! This got me thinking about a discrete regulator. This one was suggested (schematic)

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...ed&r=&session=

I have a dumb question in the interest of self-preservation. Preceding this -5V reg board will be a simple bridge rectifier and smoothing cap. Does the + rail of this unreg psu board connect to the V- input or the Ground of the -5V reg board?

Also, in looking at this schematic, I understand that VOUT- lead goes to the -5V input of the analog board it's powering, but what about the other lead (i.e. ground)? Do I also take the output from the GND on the schematic? Does that GND reflect the point at which the ground reference Input and Output land?
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:41 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Are you building this into an existing piece of equipment or do you mean you are making your own PSU (transformer/bridge/caps etc)
Old 22nd August 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Your help please with IN/Out wiring for this Reg board

Quote:
Originally posted by riotubes
Preceding this -5V reg board will be a simple bridge rectifier and smoothing cap. Does the + rail of this unreg psu board connect to the V- input or the Ground of the -5V reg board?

Also, in looking at this schematic, I understand that VOUT- lead goes to the -5V input of the analog board it's powering, but what about the other lead (i.e. ground)? Do I also take the output from the GND on the schematic? Does that GND reflect the point at which the ground reference Input and Output land?
it does not matter.
A separate PSU will be isolated due to the separate secondary winding.
Keep the regulator output flow and return separate until they reach the PCB. Tie the more positive lead to zero volt connection. Tie the more negative lead to the -5V connection.
Old 22nd August 2008, 03:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much Andrew and Mooly! Yes, the whole circuit is new;it was spec'd for me. On the link below, I've drawn in the power rails for the three boards (unreg psu, -5v reg and I/V board) for the -5V. I hope I have interpreted Andrew's feedback correctly, but would appreciate someone double checking this for me. Here's the link to the diagram...Thanks!

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/u...e=&w=960&h=720
Old 22nd August 2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooly
Hi,
For 30 ma I think I would use a shunt regulator rather than series pass.
Why is that? I didn't believe shunt was inherently lower noise or anything.

Hide this!Advertise here!