Old style trim pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just re-read this and realised I'd been a bit vague. They are the horizontal type, open, with phenolic insulator and open metal wiper. The classic cheapo trimpot. But they're quite big.

I'm wondering if in repair, people are using a different type. I'm not sure of their power rating.

Cheers

Stuey

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I know the one's you mean. Very common in 70's gear. Are they dickey (loose rivets etc) or were you just after changing them to be sure. Worth taking them out and soaking in WD40 and keep spinning them round a few times. Other than that you will have to search the catalogues I'm afraid.
It's nice to do a good job though :)

Hi Mooly,

Yeah, one's knackered. It's a 50K one and has a range of 1K to 2.5K or so (used as a variable resistor). I actually just realised today that they're even bigger than my estimates above.

I may just replace the broken one with a single turn cermet (sealed type).

Cheers

Stuey

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Could you re-drill new holes in the PCB to take new smaller pots so they fit properly and still solder to the original pads.

Attachments

• pots.jpg
    pots.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 93
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.