Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2008, 11:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default salvaged capacitors

I am looking for information on the safe use of salvaged capacitors. I know that electrolytics require extreme caution in reuse but what I am interested in is other types such as Polypropylene, ceramic etc. It seems like the ceramic disks and Polys should be fine if they test well but I have a lot of caps that I can not identify type nor determine whether there are issues in reusing them.

One type of specific interest looks like a small sausage of molded plastic with axial leads. They are rounded on the end and look like solid plastic. One is labled 0.1 and 600V.

Can someone suggest web resources.
Old 30th July 2008, 06:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Found this picture on Ebay. A lot of the caps are similar to these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldcaps.jpg (22.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 30th July 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Elvee is online now Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi,

They could be paper or plastic foil caps. If they test OK, you can reuse them without problem. Be aware that they are general purpose, low grade types: you can use them for non-critical applications such as coupling or decoupling, but in filter applications, they would give poor performances.
LV
Old 30th July 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
pilli is offline pilli  France
diyAudio Member

Also look at this:

MKP caps: are these for real?

Where they suggest techniques for identifying plastic cap types, based on capacity change when heated (positive or negative drift) and on the smell when burnt (but this is a "nonreversible" test).

_
Old 31st July 2008, 01:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you folks! Very helpful information. By poor performance in filter applications do we mean instability of the capacitance or other negative factors?

I have a lot of caps that look like orange drops that could be used in solid state filtering applications. Unfortunately (but not surprising given that the came from solid state organs) the "orange drops" and the "brown drops" (look like the common Chinese poly caps) all seem to be low voltage versions. I was really surpresed to find the 600V caps in there. Not always easy to figure out the voltage rating.

Just gotta find more vacuum tube stuff to salvage.
Old 31st July 2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Elvee is online now Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mashaffer
Thank you folks! Very helpful information. By poor performance in filter applications do we mean instability of the capacitance or other negative factors?

Temperature stability could be a problem in some cases, because, the tempco is rather large, positive and non-linear, but I was thinking more of the loss factor: dielectric absorption, etc.
Old 31st July 2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I think for the most part, you could improve on most of those parts with modern equivalents made from better materials for reasonably low cost.

Hide this!Advertise here!