Who make the best 10,000uf capacitors

Yikes.

RS sells the B41550 (63V) for ~$50/pc overhere, shagg-me-tax included.
For 12 or more the bolt/screw mounted B41570 becomes more interesting at that place, ~$35 each for 25 and up.
I've got an account at RS, if so desired/appreciated i can order some and ship 'm over to the US.

BuTuWu : Epcos sells direct for big numbers, as in 30s-40s and up.

Gavin,

Allied does not stock, but can source (in about 26 weeks) in minimum quantities of 36 upwards, both 63v -
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Se...11BE4A716990&i=0&Ntk=Primary&Ns=RetailPrice|0
and 100v sikorel caps -
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Se...11BE4A716990&i=0&Ntk=Primary&Ns=RetailPrice|0

The 10,000 uF 63v are actually reasonably? priced @ 22.48USDea in quantities/multiples of 44 with a 1/2 year wait....
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...9Q&R=586SPEC&SEARCH=586SPEC&DESC=B41550E8109Q

I didn't include the stud mount versions in my searchs. If someone wants to run a group buy, I'm in.

Re: Epcos/Sikorel 41550's..............................

Gavinator68 said:
I have been looking for the Epcos/Sikorel 41550 series caps for a while now and ....IF.........they can be purchased in the US through a supplier in the UK they will cost about:

4700uf = $60 USD
10,000uf = $100 USD

Does any one know where to get them at a better price?

Cheers

If you are prepared to spend that much I really would check out DNM T network caps, cheaper and check the graph on HF rejection.

http://www.dnm.co.uk/capacitors.html#tnetwork

"best" 10,000uF cap

Thanks for the tip, Russell -
The T-N-Cs, and Slit Foils arrived today - will fit up and run-in for a few days....

Current set up in the "over the top" F3 is Siemens 33'000uf/63 B41455 (the GC ones, thanks Jacco). Unfortunately, they are very heavy in the base and lack mid/tops and also, a bit slow.
However, in the C-R-C system, with the 10,00uf/63 Rifa peh200 as the ripple cap and a 0.1R on both +/0v to supply these big fat slugs with a 470uF BG-F as a bipass, have come alive.(F3 = single +48v/0V)
As there are quite a few of these older B41455 caps around and quite cheap, they may offer a reasonable compromise, particularly in the 10,000uF size

This is with the Fairchild "stealth" diodes (30nS) - it's different with the faster 8ETH06s (and BVW29s) and I expect the Cree SiC diodes to be different again, when they arrive.

For many, this isn't news, methinks, but worth repeating.

"best caps ..."

Forgot to mention that the Rifas can be VERY aggressive and especially with the chip amps and such - can use series resistors between diode and cap to help - faster diodes reduce edge a bit.
Will reverse the Rifa/Siemens order today (B41455 next to diodes) and see what happens - curious about this!! (h.phones (701s) check, I suppose, to confirm any change ....

Bert,
Are those 102 PHRs the "old" Phillip BCs? The specs look pretty okay - for class A amp?

Russel, bit off subject of this thread but ...

On your link to "Fet amp" thread, the post#5 has copy of amp cct diag, not P/Supply and so am guessing from your photos - mono build, big trannie, small block bridge and single caps (DNM?) to +/- rails with those funny temp current limit things between, yes?
What are those black and white square things next to the bridge? Do the wiring past the trannie cause noise?
A well finished (the hardest part) project, indeed.

Re: "best caps ..."

Russel, bit off subject of this thread but ...

On your link to "Fet amp" thread, the post#5 has copy of amp cct diag, not P/Supply and so am guessing from your photos - mono build, big trannie, small block bridge and single caps (DNM?) to +/- rails with those funny temp current limit things between, yes?
What are those black and white square things next to the bridge? Do the wiring past the trannie cause noise?
A well finished (the hardest part) project, indeed. [/B]

Black and white things are fuses mounted in the fuse holders.

The wiring does not cause any appreciable noise, I can t hear any and no one who has tried it has complained.

"Well finished". Thanks, kitchen table productions and a RS components box. Lot of cries of "have you finished making a mess yet!". It was worth it.

Attachments

• psu.zip
    89.4 KB · Views: 160
I noticed this thread. also some thought(negative) sof my personal subjective opinion about capacitors in my website. What I want to say- all info was provided literally-as much audiophiles will understand more. If you will do such effort (buy different capacitors for 10 000usd and invest tons of time) you will also want to share your thoughts with others. This is old article. But. Times goes. Different manufacturers announces different capacitors with purpose to sound and.. nothing happens. Sikorel/epcos still is worst sounding caps. Yes worst. As they tend do not add to sound or add very little. Yes they are lean, yes they are little bit dry, yes they do not have bass(for most of people bass is when everything is resonate) but this is how the recorded sound is.its not perfect. If you want lush sound, tons of resonanting bass, very slow and undynamic= sweet sound-look for others caps. I prefer marten Coltrane to audionote speakers(thought both is with flaws) and that’s all I need to say.

I still hade left over 1000psc of these caps and decided to share with diyadio community recently- in few days almost all caps are gone. Why?

I have bought directly form japan lot of black gate caps. I already contructed some power supply of 60 000uf black gate N and did direct comparision with sikorels in class a amp- and while BG N was better bass , better microdynamic , smoother, silky. sikorel is still have more macro dynamic and great midrange resolution.

Still I must say that diferencies between different caps in power supply is very minor to sound. Unless you start to extreme amplifier test-this is area when sikorels shows big improvements over others with clearly audible diferencies in ab tests. . Also there is lot of area to improve in powersupply(clean supply, quality transformer). If you put sikorel in 200usd nad amplifiers it wont blow with dynamic but fitted in right gear they shine. That’s my 2 cents. .

I

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hate to tell you ..... , Weissi ...
...they don't hav'm anymore.
Last week I got the last two (!) remaining .
Seems like their stocks have been "cleaned" grand style -- maybe right even while I figured out how much I actually needed.

Greez & Goodnight

SigFire

Re: "best caps ..."

jameshillj said:
Bert,
Are those 102 PHRs the "old" Phillip BCs? The specs look pretty okay - for class A amp?
James, yes they were the BC 154PEC's before. I use the 102's in my Class D amps. now. The BC's I have are still in my Cresendo. The 154=now102@10.000uF/63V are very nice caps. Really full bass and nice mid/high tones. Higher values tend to make the music heavy sounding and less crisp.