Who make the best 10,000uf capacitors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2008, 07:31 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h_a
Which are 'best' - what does that mean anyway? - I don't know, but Panasonic TS-HA I consider a good bang for the buck.
Would second that on the Panasonics. Not only are they relatively cheap, but in general they will sound the same in 20 years. The idea of using more, smaller, caps is also worthwhile. While the extra capacitance might possibly be useful once or twice in the lifetime of the amplifier (some sort of amazing transient requirement), the extra smoothing from having (say) 12x4,700uF caps per side vs. 6x10,000uF caps in your unregulated supply is probably worth looking at.
Old 31st July 2008, 07:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloth Ears

the extra smoothing from having (say) 12x4,700uF caps per side vs. 6x10,000uF caps in your unregulated supply is probably worth looking at.

Extra smoothing? Courtesy of all the parasitic inductance?
Old 2nd August 2008, 01:00 AM   #13
elac310 is offline elac310  France
diyAudio Member

Default Possible quality criteria and options

Assuming it's for the power supply of a class A amplifier, perhaps the following factors should be kept in mind:
- a "decent" brand (Epcos, Evox-Rifa, Mallory, Krummer, Arcotronics etc.),
- a recent date of manufacturing (the month/year are mentioned on the can by "decent" manufacturers); avoid "new old stock" and the like for electrolitycs as these tend to dry out, especially under bad storage conditions (negative temps, humidity, excessive heat or dryness etc.)
- a reasonable voltage margin of safety (say 63V for a 40V power supply rail, 80V for 60 V rails etc); it is often recommended to not exagerate the safety margin though, since unlike film capacitors, high voltage electrolytics do not work faster, they just dry out faster if the extra voltage margin is not used...
- for a class A amplifier which produces masses of heat, capacitors rated at up to 105C service temp are probably a better option than the standard 80-85C in order to preserve the capacitors' service life,
- talking about service life, some of the "decent" manufacturers produce special series rated at 100 000+ hours of service
- a low ESR (equivalent serial resistance); should be available from the product datasheet
- my tip: try a power supply decoupling film capacitor (MKP or KP), connected as closely as possible to the circuit to be fed by the power supply; usually, 0,1uF is recommended, but give a try to a 50 or 100uF type of a much higher voltage (630V and up) - this will help ensure a good power supply "speed" (clean trebbles etc.).
I hope this helps.
Old 2nd August 2008, 10:43 AM   #14
weissi is offline weissi  Europe
diyAudio Member

With Epcos Sikorel you'll get what you pay. Its a high grade industrial component, no voodoo.
Of course, every well known brand makes good cap's too.
But in the beginning the question clearly was "...makes the best..." There are pricey and excellent caps from almost every known company.
Personaly I'm pleased with all caps from Chemicon, Rubycon, Panasonic, Epcos, Rifa, Elna and Sanyo. Wouldn't use others.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

All of my power amplifiers have 60,000uF per channel and share the same circuit.

The first amplifier used the high spec, low ESR, long life, computer grade and very expensive BC Components. You can find them in the previous Farnell Catelogue and they are some of the most expensive ones (around $90 each for 10,000uF?). Although I did not buy them from Farnell. I later bought another 12 from a wholesaler and they still cost me around $50 each.

The second amplifier used the Nippon Chemicon available from www.ledeaudio.com 3 years ago. Dave at Darwin runs the business. The capacitors did not even have a specification. Dave is a very nice guy and he told me the caps should be good. Based on that I bought them from him at the fraction of the cost comparing to the BC Components.

Interestingly, the BC Components and the Nippon Chemicon do not sound any different.

I compared my amplifier to a $10,000 commercial power amplifier in a $50,000 system 2 months ago and the sound quality was at the same level.

Regards,
Bill
Old 6th August 2008, 12:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Siemens ?

10.000uF/75V ~ 450 grams.
17.000uF/75V ~ 980 grams.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:54 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
10.000uF/75V ~ 450 grams.
Thats 2.7kg per channel just in capacitors.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:19 AM   #18
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the power supply is generally the most expensive and heaviest part of the amplifier.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:52 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

In my case is the cheapest.
8 17.000uF/75V Siemens at 40 bucks
Old 10th August 2008, 08:23 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Rubycon

Hide this!Advertise here!