Super Regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a series of voltage regulators (5v,9v,12,15v) or a variable regulator that works well. I want to build a low current (~100mA) version and a high current (1.5A) version of each voltage. My goal is to build the best regulator(s) possible.

But I am confused though on what are factors of a voltage regulator are important. And within those factors which are more important than others.

I keep reading posts where people talk about the following;

Line Regulation
Load Regulation
Ripple Rejection
Noise

I have learned what each are but don't know if any are more important than others.

Are there any other factors I should be considering?

At first these regulator(s) will just be for general purpose. But later I will build a couple AM transmitters / radios and would like clean/stable dc for the oscillators. I also in vision adding a regulated power supply to my gain clone amp.

Hopefully not getting ahead of myself but I have been favoring the ua725 and LT1086. I have seen a few discrete regulator here but they don't have any specs. So I don't know how to compare them to IC. Any recommendation on designs or ICs?

Thank,
Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.