Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default THE non-magnetic parts list

I'd like to have a non-magnetic parts list here on the forum, as this seems to be a 'item of concern' for the more aware of us, when it comes to sonic quality-at it's finest. I ended up thinking about making such a thread that was and is -specific-, due to having little in the way of a specific thread on the forum! After an hour of searching, I decided that frustration would be the norm, and to attempt to remove that aspect for the next guy who does the same search. I mention dates on some parts,as things might change on the more expensive stuff which is low volume and is built specifically for it's sonic qualities. For example, on the later mentioned Teflon tube sockets that are $25 each - they might get wise and make a change. You see, the parts are supposed to be OFC and 24k gold plated--and that's it. But testing is showing that a bit of magnetic material is in there.....

Whatever the item series of devices, if you know it is non-magnetic, be it resistor, capacitor, transistor (yes-possible!) or whatever (sockets, switches, and potentiometers), please add to the list.

Please report in the given item it if IS magnetic as well, to help remove doubt, or doubt would abound-if the given specific item was not mentioned here. Also, some parts like resistors can be 'slightly less' magnetic than others, so might serve well, when it comes to being a second choice.

I was specifically searching for non-magnetic electrolytic capacitors.

So far, I've come across..in my pile'o'stuff......:

Rubycon 'Black Gate' electrolytics: Non-Magnetic

Elna Cera-Fine Electrolytics: Non-Magnetic

Elna SilMic Electrolytics: Non-Magnetic

Sanyo Os-Con Capacitors: Non-Magnetic (purple skinned)

Sprague 'Os-Con' capacitors: MAGNETIC! (Older series-blue skinned)

Most (near 100%-I mean, tell me if there is one series that isn't!) of all Panasonic Electrolytics: MAGNETIC

Most all series of Nichicon Electrolytics: MAGNETIC

Most all series of United Chemicon Electrolytics: MAGNETIC

'LittleFuse' ceramic bodied pigtail fuses: Non-magnetic

'Connex' teflon sockets at 'the parts connexion': the mini-9 pin sockets components (the metal bits) are VERY mildly magnetic. (tested 7/20/2008, a 7/26/2006 purchase)

Vampire Wire OFC Female inside mount RCA jacks: Mildly magnetic

Xhadow OFC speaker spades: Mildly Magnetic
Old 20th July 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

ETI (Eichmann) Male RCA jacks: Non-Magnetic

WBT Next-Gen Male RCA Jacks: Non-Magnetic, except the outer metal ring out back---which is mildly magnetic

Electrocube 5MP12 polypropylene series capacitors: Non-Magnetic

Russian Polystyrol K-71 series film capacitors: Non-Magnetic
Old 21st July 2008, 01:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mills Wirewound Resistors: Non Magnetic.

Caddock MP-930 series Resistors: Mildly Magnetic. (Suprise!)
Old 21st July 2008, 01:30 AM   #4
dweekie is offline dweekie  United States
diyAudio Member

Rubycon ZA/ZL Electrolytic Caps : Magnetic
Old 21st July 2008, 01:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Lynk Brand Metal oxide power resistors.. Metal end caps- therefore: Magnetic
Old 21st July 2008, 08:20 AM   #6
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Mildly magnetic? What does that mean?

Guys, every metal is magnetic in some form. With 'magnetic' you mean ferromagnetism, the strongest magnetism. But there's also para- and diamagnetism, present in _every_ chemical element.

Have fun, Hannes

Quote:
Metal end caps- therefore: Magnetic
Oh no! Not every metal is ferromagnetic, e.g. aluminium isn't as isn't copper.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Why is there a need for concern here?

Many parts have leads of tin plated steel as it's cheaper than copper and RoHS compliant.

Cheers!
Old 21st July 2008, 11:04 AM   #8
tbr is offline tbr  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

@ Geek: RoHS is the least of our concerns... sonic results rule, and magnetic parts really don't help here.

Evox-Rifa foil caps (eg. SMR-series): RM5 outline all magnetic, all other outlines nonmagnetic
Dale resistors available from Schuro: nonmagnetic
Beyschlag resistors (both 0207 and 0204): magnetic
Wima caps: older series (partially) nonmagnetic, current ones all magnetic

TB
Old 21st July 2008, 12:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Guys, remember that almost all active devices use ferromagnetic alloys for the leads - often an alloy called Kovar, which is Fe:54, Ni:29, Co:17 .

This is certainly the case for valves and most metal case semiconductors. The reason why it is done is to give a robust hermetic seal in the glass to metal seal; the change in thermal expansion of the glass at its softening point is matched to change in expansion of the alloy at the Curie temperature.

When you try to evaluate the size of the effect of the magnetic materials, they come out really small. There are two types of possible effect - nonlinear inductance, and magneto-resistance. As far as I can tell, the magneto-resistance effects are tiny for this class of alloy. Nonlinear inductance is harder to generalise about, but the effects will be very small in most geometries, as the magnetic circuits are dominated by much larger regions of open air.

I welcome example calculations showing how a significant effect can arise.
Old 24th July 2008, 04:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I hear the difference, therefore the list. There will be folks here...and well... there are folks here who believe that wire does not make a difference. I would expect that this is not the thread for them.

If you disagree that I (we) can hear the difference....then the list can provide the evidence trail for attempts to replicate or understand the phenomenon.

Let us not pollute the thread with debate, simply provide what you know, for those of us who search for information on ferromagnetics in given specific parts.

My testing is simple enough, a given component has a strong neo magnet passed over it. It either reacts--or it does not. Either strongly, or minutely.

This list will provide folks an avenue to find some parts to make a given whole piece of gear with as non ferrous a parts count as is possible.

THEN assess the sonics.

I submit you will be surprised.

Hide this!Advertise here!