Need help with DC follower/peak follower HELP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am trying to build a DC follower/peak follower. It is my "design" so far, but so far the darn circuit isn't working like I want it to work. The goal is to have this op-amp (see attached file) take an AC signal and extract the DC component. THIS SHOULD BE SIMPLE! It amplifies an incoming AC signal, let's say for simplicity purpose, a 1kHz wave) and amplify by two, then rectify it with diode, filtering out any residual AC with the 220uF capacitor. Simple enough right? THIS SHOULD BE SIMPLE, YET IT AIN'T WORKING!

Well it doesn't rectify! I tried other diodes, I tried other capacitors, I tried even with different discharge resistors. The only time it ever works, sort of, is when I raise the value of the discharge resistor to about 200Kohms. When I vary my input signal's amplitude, then I get a corresponding DC level , which is what I want, but it keeps drifting back to a common DC level.

Any help? Please! I feel so stupid...

Attachments

• dc_follower.jpg
    dc_follower.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 71
What? you mean use a dual polarity supply will suddenly make this work? Could you explain? I don't get it...
Really I don't see why, because I am already supplying the positive input with a bias voltage of 4 volts.
How will it help if the supply is bipolar?
Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.