What features or sizes do you want in a custom enclosure? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2008, 07:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What features or sizes do you want in a custom enclosure?

It seems like we're always trying to adapt enclosures to meet our project needs or we have to spend a tone of money to ship in enclosures from Asia. What if there was an alternative closer to the States?

I know a friend who owns a sheet metal shop here in Evansville, Indiana. I was talking to him yesterday and asked him if he could make me aluminum chassis for my projects. He said they could if I could draw it up. Basically, I described the NABU chassis and what I would like changed on it for my project needs.

My question to you guys is what general features would you like to see as "standard" and what general dimensions work well for many projects? I'd like to give him a list of the features DIY Audio types want and the 10-15 most requested sizes so he can give me estimated prices for those chassis in both steel and aluminum. I'm hoping his prices will be competitive against imported chassis once shipping is factored into the total cost.

His business has CNC waterjet and CNC punches in addition to the usual requirements of laser and plasma cutters, welders, etc. So he should be able to produce nice, clean enclosures or aluminum faceplates. At a minimum, I'm going to have him cut a design into the top of my NABU chassis with the waterjet if the can mount it in the machine. Otherwise I'll have him create a new top for me with the design cut into it. I'm also going to have him make a prototype chassis for me to post on in this thread for you guys to see the final product quality.

MODS: If this thread needs to be moved elsewhere, let me know. I'm not trying to sell anything myself, just trying to see if we can develop a supplier of chassis that better suite our needs.
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would be more interested in cases that are small. Half the dimensions of the nabu chassis would be good.
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dietcoke
I would be more interested in cases that are small. Half the dimensions of the nabu chassis would be good.
So, 9-1/4"W x 5-1/2" D, but what height? 1-1/2" height is about half the size of the NABU, but limiting for many PSU layouts that need regulators on heat sinks. I'm running 2-1/2" sinks for my DBs and a 2" sink for my LM338Ts, 7805s, and 7815s.
Old 23rd June 2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Yep most "amp sized" toroids are at least 2 inches high...
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:22 PM   #5
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Aluminium extrusion to match a mac mini, with the curved corners and inset top panel.
In the following sizes:
same size, double height, double width, double height and width
and finally the big daddy suitable for tube amps: 1.5 depth double height double width.

For the double height boxes: Ability to mount a horizontal chassis plate inside at various heights.

Top and bottom covers available in: aluminium, steel and a few colours of acrylic plastic. White, black and maybe maroon and dark blue.
Option of pre-cut ventilation grilles in one of the metals.

Would be useful for DACs, amps, usb hard disks, TVCs, power supplies.
A nice wood veneer on the top would look rather nice.
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH
Aluminium extrusion to match a mac mini, with the curved corners and inset top panel.
In the following sizes:
same size, double height, double width, double height and width
and finally the big daddy suitable for tube amps: 1.5 depth double height double width.

For the double height boxes: Ability to mount a horizontal chassis plate inside at various heights.

Top and bottom covers available in: aluminium, steel and a few colours of acrylic plastic. White, black and maybe maroon and dark blue.
Option of pre-cut ventilation grilles in one of the metals.

Would be useful for DACs, amps, usb hard disks, TVCs, power supplies.
A nice wood veneer on the top would look rather nice.

My friend won't be able to do extrusions, but he might be able to form aluminum sheet and weld the ends together.
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:20 PM   #7
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

That will be very labour intensive. I used to do sheet-metal audio equipment chassis for a living.
Treat my previous post as more of a wish list.

Freight costs rule me out of the deal anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!