Black Gate observation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I just bought a dozen BG .1mf NX 50V caps and while checking values was shocked to see half reading around .18, the rest around .15mf (My meter read .1mf polyprops at .1mf). Wondering about this, I set up the RJM 'Cap Rack'. After 3 days, they were reading .125, .11mf. Has anyone else noticed this? It would certainly account for at least some of the improvement noticed after break-in.

No idea about Blackgates, but a cap with a high dissipation factor will often read high in value on a meter that reads Cs- the reason I won't use a meter that doesn't also display DF. Since Blackgates are out of production, maybe the remaining stock is getting a bit old. My experience is that many/most electrolytics don't reach their lowest leakage and best properties until they've been under voltage for some hours to tens of hours. I doubt this affects sound much in PS filter apps, but might well be a factor in other locations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.