dark tinted material for front panel display window

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm looking for some dark tinted clear material (acrylic, lexan, polycarbonate, whatever) to make a window in a front panel through which to view an alphanumeric display. i got some grey tinted acrylic from mcmaster-carr, but it doesn't seem dark enough. of course i did some searching, both on diyaudio and elsewhere, but the closest i could find to a source of tinted acrylic was here. anybody else know of a mail-order source of the stuff? or other suggestions? please let me know. thanks!

thanks guys. i also found some plastics sources online in some further searching, and i just ordered a "bronze & gray tint sample pack" from ridout plastics (aka eplastics). i think i'll use the lighter-tinted stuff i got from mcmaster-carr for my first attempt (just 'cuz i already have it) but if the sample pack from eplastics includes some nice looking options then i'll be placing an order from them before too long. looks like the smallest amount you can order from them (other than sample packs) is a 24" x 48" sheet, but they'll cut it into whatever size pieces you want, seemingly free of charge. if i just want a small chunk of the stuff, perhaps you'll see a post in the "group buys" area before too long.

p.s. regarding my display, i'm leaning toward vfd at the moment but haven't ruled anything out yet. got some work to do. :)

Hello Grayson, Perhaps you could put a layer of automotive window tint on the inside of your current piece of tinted plastic. If you are interested in red color, I have multiple pieces of red plastic sheet, not sure of the type, in my basement across town from you. If I remember correctly they are around 4-6" high by 12" long. I don't remember the thickness off the top of my head. I also have some longer, narrower pieces of clear, and I have some pieces of smoked glass you could get cut down to size.

Peace,

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.