Adding Pass through input on my pre-amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2008, 07:14 PM   #1
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Question Adding Pass through input on my pre-amp

Hey everybody.

i'm kinda newbee at all stuff like these, but lets take my problem here. I have a Xindak pre-amp that i'm really satisfied with for the price! the only problem for me is that i'm planning on building out my system from 2-channel to 5.1/7.1 system, but my "primary" part will still be the 2-channel systems, so that is why i'm thinking about this thing.

Anyway, today my setup is a Shanling poweramp and a Xindak pre-amp, and i'm really satisfied with the sound of these amps. The only downside is that the Xindak pre-amp doesn't have any pass through input or feature. And the poweramp does only have one input, and i really want "easy switching" with that i mean i don't want to have to switch cables when i'm going ot watch movies, and i really want the signal as straight as possible to the power amp. (HT-receiver -> Stereopreamp (passthrough) -> Poweramp) and then use the stereo speakers as front on the surround setup.

Anyway, i have been thinking about doing this with a 4PDT-switch, and i now wonder if this setup would work fine? and with fine i mean, that it won't make the sound worse for my 2-channel setup.

I have attached the picture for soldering below..
does anyone of you have any thoughts about this, or any better idea how to do it?
All ideas will be appreciated. Also, take in consideration that i have limited knowledge, and would like it as cheap as possible and i wouldn't want to change the preamp either as i'm really satisfied with it.

thanks!

EDIT: if this thread is missplaced, moderator - feel free to move it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 4pdtswitch.gif (7.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 9th June 2008, 10:32 PM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

It is not necessary to switch the grounds.
Old 9th June 2008, 10:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i well, then a dpdt will work i guess..
but still.. anybody think there will be some downgrading in soundquality (primary thinking on the 2-channel stereo side) using a switch like this for this usage? is there maybe any better switch type for this kind of job? or how would you guys recommend med doing it?
Old 27th June 2008, 04:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not any other oppinion?

Hide this!Advertise here!