Attack of the mutant reflow toaster - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2008, 09:31 AM   #1
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

Default Attack of the mutant reflow toaster

Here :

http://audio.peufeu.com/node/69

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st June 2008, 10:13 AM   #2
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Excellent Peufeu,
You never fail to amaze! What will you come up with next - a multichannel ethernet DAC?
Old 1st June 2008, 10:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jkeny
Excellent Peufeu,
You never fail to amaze! What will you come up with next - a multichannel ethernet DAC?
Or perhaps firewire after signing the NDA with TC tech i got the DICE firmware yesterday.
No time to look at it in great detail, but from what I have seen it looks very clean and well thought out...
Old 3rd June 2008, 01:30 AM   #4
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

If you Google the Seattle Robotics Society and "reflow oven" (or something like that), you'll find a very nice web page on reflowing SMT with a toaster oven. Works great; I have one at work that I bought at WalMart
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Such ingenuity with an everyday object is a sign of genius!
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah I had seen the page on Seattle Robotics... actually I looked at lots of DIY reflow ovens before building this one

It's not hard, mostly mechanical stuff, and being safe with the high voltage... the temperature controller I used is very simple to use.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default My first reflow solder - not a success!

Hi,

I tried my 1st reflow soldering today using an oven similar to the Elektor reflow smd oven. The oven is fine; the problem I have is with applying the solder.
I'm using a syringe with solder paste, and I find it hard to apply a small amount of paste to the board. The plunger of the syringe has to be pressed quite hard because the paste is so heavy, and then when something comes out, it is too much!

How do you guys do that, any tips?

Jan Didden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smd try-1.jpg (47.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 16th September 2009, 10:46 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This beautiful and informative article, thank you very much. Use this page to your friend told you. I am constantly followed. To receive more information about this topic the following internet sites can follow.

Jan, have you tried warming the syringe? I think you're seeing the effects of the thixotropy of the paste, and there's not much to be done about that.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I once made a screw like thingie, to attach to the syringe. This made application much easier to control, and the use of a very thin needle possible, as pressure no longer was an issue to build up.

Magura
Old 16th September 2009, 11:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magura View Post
I once made a screw like thingie, to attach to the syringe. This made application much easier to control, and the use of a very thin needle possible, as pressure no longer was an issue to build up.

Magura
SY, Magura, OK I'll try that. I had the paste at room temp before use but store in in a fridge; this stuff has a limited shelf life.
I was also looking at what are called 'component stencils' which are stencils for individual components like a 40 pin QFP quad pack or a SOIC. You can get them for $35 each in stainless steel or from another outfit A 4*4 inch stencil to your design for $25, and you apply the past with a queegee I think it is called (basically an old screwdriver ).

jd

Hide this!Advertise here!