Attack of the mutant reflow toaster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My first reflow solder - not a success!

Hi,

I tried my 1st reflow soldering today using an oven similar to the Elektor reflow smd oven. The oven is fine; the problem I have is with applying the solder.
I'm using a syringe with solder paste, and I find it hard to apply a small amount of paste to the board. The plunger of the syringe has to be pressed quite hard because the paste is so heavy, and then when something comes out, it is too much!

How do you guys do that, any tips?

Jan Didden

Attachments

• smd try-1.jpg
    smd try-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 183
This beautiful and informative article, thank you very much. Use this page to your friend told you. I am constantly followed. To receive more information about this topic the following internet sites can follow.

Jan, have you tried warming the syringe? I think you're seeing the effects of the thixotropy of the paste, and there's not much to be done about that.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I once made a screw like thingie, to attach to the syringe. This made application much easier to control, and the use of a very thin needle possible, as pressure no longer was an issue to build up.

Magura :)

SY, Magura, OK I'll try that. I had the paste at room temp before use but store in in a fridge; this stuff has a limited shelf life.
I was also looking at what are called 'component stencils' which are stencils for individual components like a 40 pin QFP quad pack or a SOIC. You can get them for $35 each in stainless steel or from another outfit A 4*4 inch stencil to your design for $25, and you apply the past with a queegee I think it is called (basically an old screwdriver ;) ).

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sparkfun sells reflow oven controller kits. it carefully monitors the temp and runs it through a preprogrammed temp sequence.

Yeah, they all do; the technology is very simple and not the problem. My problem is to fnd an easy and reliable way to attach the solder paste to the board.
I think I will get some component stencils from Celeritous.com.

jd

We got thin metal templates with holes where the paste goes.
Then, yeah, its just basically a squeegee applies the paste.

I don't think such a template would necessarily have to be
made of metal? plastic would probably do just as well...

Not sure how the template holes are cut, possibly a laser?
I'm sure a round punch of some kind would do. The paste
flows and would not necessarily have to be perfectly the
same shape as the pad, just as long as its the right size
blob to flow for that pad, and not touching its neighbor...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We got thin metal templates with holes where the paste goes.
Then, yeah, its just basically a squeegee applies the paste.

I don't think such a template would necessarily have to be
made of metal? plastic would probably do just as well...

Not sure how the template holes are cut, possibly a laser?
I'm sure a round punch of some kind would do. The paste
flows and would not necessarily have to be perfectly the
same shape as the pad, just as long as its the right size
blob to flow for that pad, and not touching its neighbor...

Some are indeed made from mylar, 3 or 5 mills thickness. There is one outfit you can send you pcb gerbers to and they will send you a stencil for the whole board, mylar laser cut. They charge around $32 for 4 square inches.
For larger production runs stainless steel stencils are used but they are an order of magnitude more expensive, not diy range. A good compromise would be individual component stainless steel stencils for, say, a 44 pin quad pack for $22. You just buy what you need so in time you collect a good range of footprints.

jd

I've always just used a regular soldering iron to tin and pre-load excess solder onto the traces. Then some thick regular solder paste (not the SMD kind with solder in it) to hold the pins in place and improve the solder flow. I usually use a hot-plate instead of a toaster, but the idea is the same:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=59
With careful control of the heat, I can get very good results (I only make single sided boards at home since double sided are a pain to align). No messing with stencils or special pastes.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've always just used a regular soldering iron to tin and pre-load excess solder onto the traces. Then some thick regular solder paste (not the SMD kind with solder in it) to hold the pins in place and improve the solder flow. I usually use a hot-plate instead of a toaster, but the idea is the same:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=59
With careful control of the heat, I can get very good results (I only make single sided boards at home since double sided are a pain to align). No messing with stencils or special pastes.

Fenris, how do you avoid that the solder you apply gets between the pads and shorts them out? Some of those chips have 0.5mm pitches.

jd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.