Spray on Photoresist- How Successful is it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep it works fine, but sure you will have a few mishaps the first couple of tries...

Avoid the Cramolin brand, Positiv20 works quite well.

You need to cover the board in as thin a coat as you can consistantly apply without any uncovered pinpricks left...

I prefer spraying mine at night, in sunlight it always looks like I applied less than I did, it is painfull dealing with too thick a coat during the development stage...

I use outdoors UV exposure, I would say about 5 minutes would be right for the UK, 4:30 for bright sunny days.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Nordic,
Good to know it works O.K. I was worried about not getting it "thin and even". The one I have in mind is by Electrolube, which is about 11 GBP here. So it could work out cheaper as well.
One thing I have only just thought of, once sprayed you'll have to use it straight away so it does not get contaminated or "exposed". Worth a try I think :) Thanks for that,
Regards Karl

Getting CONSISTENT results is hard. Some work well, some not. I think it is very dependeant on the spay uniformity, and the quality of the artwork.
Generally the uniformity of the resist varies over a board, unless its a very small board. Some areas over expose, other dont.

Maybe true photographic artwork would help, but it costs too much for once offs.

With some pointers from Nordic I've done quite a few boards, including some double sided boards down to 12mil resolution without breaking a sweat. Works fine everytime, although it took some practice in the beginning to get the process right. I must admit that I'm using the missus' imagesetter at work to do the artwork, so that helps.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
I use an inkjet and some special film (specially for this ) and find it works amazingly well( like you after some practice with print settings etc). Problem is that local suppliers have stopped stocking the precoated fibre glass board, they do an "economy" one which is O.K. ish for prototyping. I can always mail order but thought this worth a try. Thanks

I never used spray, but just a bottle of the liquid. I built a spinner for small boards, a motor with adjustable speed and a flat plate. The board was stuck to the plate with double stick tape, some resist applied, then the board was spun to remove the excess and insure a thin layer. It worked great, but what a PITA. Now I use the wonderful laser printer method, or if too lazy, just order the board from one of the quick turn prototype houses.

While spraying boards........ let the oven heat up at the lowest setting... I think it is about 70 degrees... When finished spraying pop board into oven, after about 10 minutes, switch the oven off, at 15 minutes remove boards... if there are small uncovered pinpricks... now is the time to give it another quick spray... (it will dry almost instantly because of the heated board...

The heating ensures good bonding between the copper and the sprayed on layer.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Probably a daft question but what do you clean your boards with prior to spraying. When I used to hand draw and use transfers I used those green kitchen pad things ( a bit like a rough mat ) and then used iso to wipe it down. The pads leave swirl marks in the copper, though whether this would affect the result I don't know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.