Teflon tubing for jacket material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Where are quantities of Teflon tubing available at good prices?
I'm going to make about a number of silver interconnects, total c 10 m.
Mostly per this recipe
http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diySilver/index.htm

But I understand that (Jon Risch, kevinkr, etc) Teflon tubing is better than heatshrink.

I haven’t yet found a supplier . . To make 10 m of ICs per the linked three strand/ conductor recipe, the quantities are:
60 m of 1.5 mm Teflon tubing (200 feet of 1/16th tubing)
40 m of 5 mm Teflon tubing (130 feet of 3/16th tubing)
(a lotta tubing . . for two active systems)

Thank you

jacco vermeulen said:
McMaster-Carr (McMaster.com)
Keyword : ptfe sleeving or ptfe spaghetti, $18/100ft for the 16AWG and $60/100ft of 6AWG.
Or Tang Hill audio in Thailand, (thlaudio.com)

It would be a lot easier if you told people (or showing) where you are residing, a bit more civilised as well.

Uh-Oh!!Looks like I may have to fold up my tent on this forum...Either that or buy shoes and some underwear...

If the person seeking tubing is familiar with EBAY ..Give it a try...I have bought it there quite reasonably. I have 14GA in quantity .. Would send you some for the shipping cost.(Depending on just how far south you are):D

Hi jacco

Thanks for your tip.

(I don’t know why it’d be uncivilised to not state your domicile, other than curiosity, or when enquiring about heavy items that might incur high shipping, tubing can be shipped anywhere fairly cheaply.
As you know, some forum folk assume nom de plumes, is that uncivilised . . ?)

But as you asked I’m not quite as far south as Antarctica, I’m in Melbourne, southern Australia.

Yes . . familiar with ebay, had thought some good “direct” vendors might be known . .

Hi sandstorm33

We get down to just above freezing on a winter’s night here on the southern coast of Aussieland, but above the Fahrenheit century on a summers day (not quite Arizona heat!)

14 GA is 1.6 mm in metric land, which should be about right for the thinner stuff: do you know the thickness of the tube, or in particular its internal diameter?

If its right thickness and you have 60 m (200 feet), I’d be happy to pay USPS + $20 for your time.

I_Forgot,

I believe you are jesting?
Jon Risch http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/i1.htm
belives:
"Jacket Materials
In descending order of preference:
1. Solid Teflon (TFE)
2. Solid FEP Teflon
. .

Cheers

Would you reckon some can tell where you're from, just by looking at your (1st) post ?

Most of the vendors in Eurohole charge far out prices for PTFE tubing, a few deliver large-Q at modest rates, but usually requires a corporate registration (as in business VAT number)
I'm sure i can order a $1 condom in the US, but shipping costs will likely be horrendous despite the small size and weight, order +$100 worth of rubber and tax surcharges will add a large percentage to the final cost.
A $0.20/ft rate may look attractive, yet often it is more appealing to buy more locally.

Vendors such as West Florida Comp. frequently offer PTFE sleeving on E-bahia, i haven't seen any in that place who ship small time goodies across the big piscina at a friendly consumer rate.

I didn't ask.

Hi jacco

I've bought offshore *many times before . .

> Would you reckon some can tell where you're from, just by looking at your (1st) post ?

No. If i thought it was relevant . .

> I'm sure i can order a $1 condom in the US, but shipping costs will likely be horrendous despite the small size and weight,

I was looking at 60 m, not 20 gm of latex . .

If sent by *courier, shipping would be high.
But I get 80+ % of my audio needs, CD and books from the US, because IME the range is often better, and base cost lower due to much bigger markets > more competition . .

> order +$100 worth of rubber and tax surcharges will add a large percentage to the final cost.

unless its > $1000, tax surcharges dont apply into Oz

> A $0.20/ft rate may look attractive, yet often it is more appealing to buy more locally.

I'd looked around locally, hence my post . .

But on the chance that some Aussies can save a little freight, I've amended my profile

McMaster's tube of the right size was thick walled (for high pressure fluids/ gases), so wouldn't be flexible . .

Hi sandstorm33

Is your 14GA flexible? (and what qty do you have spare - should I be looking for more, to get 200 feet)?

Thanksmany

Joined 2004
Paid Member
otto88:

I tried making 1 meter active interconnects using teflon tubing and fine silver wire a few years ago and had to abandon the project -- maybe the wire I used was too fine (26 gauge?), but I wasn't able to insert the wire through the length of the tubing. I don't mean to proclaim my failures, but you might want to take a trial run at your project before making a significant investment in the parts.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
otto88:

The teflon tubing I used had a very small diameter (perhaps 1/16"), but there was a significant difference between the diameter of the tubing and the wire. I had no problem inserting the wire into the tubing for the first 8 or 9 inches, but that was as far as it would go. I tried blowing a thread through the tubing (which I would have used to pull the wire through), but that failed as well. Not a proud moment and, as I write this, still a source of some embarassment. I trust you can do better, but it may help to be aware of the issues others experienced.

Regards,
Scott

jacco vermeulen said:
Would you reckon some can tell where you're from, just by looking at your (1st) post ?

Most of the vendors in Eurohole charge far out prices for PTFE tubing, a few deliver large-Q at modest rates, but usually requires a corporate registration (as in business VAT number)
I'm sure i can order a $1 condom in the US, but shipping costs will likely be horrendous despite the small size and weight.......

Small size???

otto88

I have'nt been home ...Will check this weekend as to how much I have and get sizes. I believe I have 16ga also.

:cool: :cool:

ptfe

Hi,

Where are quantities of Teflon tubing available at good prices?
I'm going to make about a number of silver interconnects, total c 10 m.
Mostly per this recipe
DIY Silver RCA Interconnect Cables

But I understand that (Jon Risch, kevinkr, etc) Teflon tubing is better than heatshrink.

I haven’t yet found a supplier . . To make 10 m of ICs per the linked three strand/ conductor recipe, the quantities are:
60 m of 1.5 mm Teflon tubing (200 feet of 1/16th tubing)
40 m of 5 mm Teflon tubing (130 feet of 3/16th tubing)
(a lotta tubing . . for two active systems)

Thank you

Dear BERTRAND M.FONKOU,

good day .

ptfe tubing ,ptfe capillary tube ,ptfe hose manufacturer , 150 workers ,7000 square metre ,9 years experience , 3years of Emerson , ISO9001.2008 ,UL , REACH ,ROHS ,LFGB ,FDA ETC certification , one hour nealy shenzhen port , this is reason we keep superior quality and compertitive offers for global customer

sale1@dgchangbo.com

look forwands cooperation with you
best regards
coca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tel:+86-0769-81732182

Fax:+86-0769-88783177

Dongguan Changbo Metal & Plastic Products Co., Ltd. - Teflon tube,Teflon hose

Company: Dongguan Chang-bo Metal & Plastic Products Co., Ltd.

(ISO9001. SGS .ROHS.UL)

Address: Building A,WangWuZhou District,ShiLong Town,Dongguang of China

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.