Nice NEC caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a box of 50 of those in my stuff.

0.022F (22 000uF) @ 5.5v

Anything good I could use them for?
(other than making a enormous cap bank at 5.5v :) )

I might try selling them.

email me, if anyone............

heres a pic:

Attachments

• minicap.jpg
    minicap.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 664
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Not suitable for audio because of their high ESR. Only FA series has a reasonanly low ESR. These caps are called supercaps or goldcaps. They are in fact small batteries and contain sulfic acid.
NEC sold their factory to Tokin. You can find the datasheets at their site.

They are mainly used for remembering the stations on VCR's, tuners and the like as Karma said. I heard but do not know for sure that they sometimes are used in very cold areas for assisting the car battery for starting ?!?!

If your tuner has a real Lithium battery in it you can change it to use a goldcap if you know how to do. They seldom fail and never need to be replaced in contrary to Lithium batteries.

Supercaps

jean-paul said:
Not suitable for audio because of their high ESR. Only FA series has a reasonanly low ESR. These caps are called supercaps or goldcaps. They are in fact small batteries and contain sulfic acid.
NEC sold their factory to Tokin. You can find the datasheets at their site.

They are mainly used for remembering the stations on VCR's, tuners and the like as Karma said. I heard but do not know for sure that they sometimes are used in very cold areas for assisting the car battery for starting ?!?!

If your tuner has a real Lithium battery in it you can change it to use a goldcap if you know how to do. They seldom fail and never need to be replaced in contrary to Lithium batteries.

Hi Jean-Paul, sorry to disagree. I fact these greenish thingies are large caps and have to be charged. They don't give off current when not charged so it are no batteries. They slowly discharge when power is interrupted but long enough to keep the memory in your VCR, tuner or whatever.
They fail regularly in my experience. A normal electrolytic cap stays longer OK but is much larger in size.
I placed a large bunch of 10000µFcaps in my VCR to replace one goldcap.;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
They don't give off current when not charged so it are no batteries.

Don't rechargeable batteries do this as well ;)

Hi Elso, of course they are caps. I forgot one word. The sentence should have been:

They are in fact LIKE small batteries and contain sulfuric acid too.

Said this because of the parallels there are with real batteries.Charge one and see how long a LED with resistor in series burns ( plus the sulfuric acid ) to understand my comparison.

The older green NEC's failed more than they should and a regularly offered in surplus stores ( maybe because of that ? ).The newer Panasonic Goldcap ones don't fail more than normal electrolytics to my knowledge. The ones showed in the picture are old ones from before the fusion with Tokin. BTW all are very sensitive to heat because of the rubber or plastic seal. Electrolyte can evaporate when the seal is porous.

Yes Karma when a lot of them are coupled they are capable of discharging enormous currents for a short period. Only FA series can be used for that hence the 10 V rating that's rare with supercaps. Mostly they are 5.5 V rated because of their internal structure. Please consult the datasheet and the web for details.
As I understood there is a producer that makes them so big in capacitance that model aircraft can fly on them.

I have some 0.1 F 10 V FA and they can deliver up to 1 A !! So imagine about a 100 ( they are very small ) in parallel and you have a burst of 100 A. Imagine this in a cap battery hybrid situation. Please see page 33 of the datasheet for further applications. I recently saw that there is a manufacturer that produces 200 F types ( !!!! ) for powering remote-controlled cars. This is not so unbelievable if you see how small a Nuintek 60 F type is. Future cell phones / GSM will be probably powered by a supercap- battery hybrid as you can read in the Capshow link.

For those that don't know how to find:

http://www.nec-tokin.net/now/english/product/pdf_dl/SuperCapacitors.pdf

And this:

http://www.elexs.de/supercap1.htm

http://www.nuintek.co.kr/html/pro6.html

http://spi.auburn.edu/Capshow.PDF

Karma,
If your receiver looses its charge in a few days, you need to replace it. It should be good for a few weeks not days. Mouser sells them. You can go up in capacity as they are designed to "leak" at a specific rate into a regulator. I have replaced a couple of these lately. I replaced the .22F supercap in my tuner with 2.2F 5VDC and the memory lasted for over five weeks with no problems. The reason the use these caps is that they are cheaper, more compact than rechargable batteries for the same voltage at a lower current and will charge and discharge many more times.
Jean Paul is quite right about the future apps for this technology.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.