Micro Jacks and Micro Pins for board-board connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys & Gals,

When mounting boards on top of each other have any of you used Micro Jacks/Pins?
http://www.keyelco.com/products/micro-pins-jacks-prod.asp?SubCategoryID=64

They look a bit sturdier than using a standard 2.54mm header, a bit like what Justin of Headamp is using here on his Dyanhi modules: http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gs1/images/gs1_silver_inside_high.jpg

I'm thinking of cat no. 3501 for the jack (trimming length L to suit after soldering). This isn't labelled as a soldering suitable part but I don't see why it can't be soldered. Looks like it'd mate with pin 1998-3 or 1999-3.

Digi-key have the jacks, $33 for 100. $18 for 100 pins.

What have you used? Any other brands?

Cheers.

Here's the deal - absolutely newbie here (DVI the greatest thing since sliced bread). And - this is a little off the wall. Please help me by avoiding too many acronyms (well, you just downstep a modified 89a and cross junction that to a Wamco from the 80's).

My living room sticks into a great backyard that full of birds (and a few frogs). It's also pretty much floor to ceiling glass on three sides. And - I want to make it feel like you're sitting outside without the 98 degree heat (I'm in VA. I don't know why). I'd like to put a microphone on each outside wall and bring it inside to a speaker on each inside wall. Def need some control (thunderstorms ++, lawnmowers --).

So - I'd appreciate some suggestions. Do I go with Logitech like web mic's where I can go direct to an amplified speaker? If I use a "real" mike what else do I need to get it up to the input levels an amplified speaker would need? Is there an alternative to amplified speakers with better sound like some 3 channel amp?

I'm also looking for some scalability in the future - Kitchen, Bedrooms, etc. So - I do I stick with something where each speaker /mic is a separate unit? and - wiring is *hard* no basement, no crawl space, it's mostly about hiding it.

Plenty of very well protected (from moisture) mounting points outside. And of course money matters. Wife would prioritize just a few other things above this.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

TT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.