dc power supply help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all been awhile but got a ? i just bot these 2 kits for a project im doing, could someone tell me what i can change to make the 12v go from outputs a maximum current of 125mA@12V and 200mA@10V or less to 1Amp? and the 9v from maximum of 100 ma output current at 9VDC and can produce up to 275 ma at 3VDC to about 500ma or higher? im not sure what part will change the amp's or what part to use. thank you

0-12V Variable Power Supply

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

0-9VDC Variable Power Supply

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That kit is not really going to be able to supply greater currents I'm afraid. First of all the transformer may be too small, secondly at greater currents you'll have a significant amount of heat to deal with, so a larger heatsink will be a necessity.

Other than that, decreasing the value of R2 may be able to get you higher currents (and also higher voltage at low currents).

That being said, this is a fairly primitive circuit, it doesn't even count as a regulated supply, and seems to rely only on the base current for current limiting, which might have been planned or might just be a side effect of the simple circuit.

Well first things first throw in a larger heat sink. At 12V the transistor has to drop 4V (16V-12V) so 4V*1A= 4 watts. Doesn't seem like much but trust me that little sink is gonna heat up like a mutha.

As for resistor values, you're going to have to calculate them, or experiment. To calculate you'll have to lookup the transistor specs (most importantly the hFE value) and work it out from there.

And that's all assuming that little power transformer can handle that much current, which it likely can't.

ok thanks but that doesnt help me much. i just need 2 dif. veriable adapters 1 that will do 5-9v for a peltier and 1 0-12v to drive 2 12v pc fans. and iv got a few dif. adapters laying round but not sure how to make them variable, or just boost the 2 i posted as i need more then the M.amp's they output.

my project is creating a mini fridge like this but 5v isnt enuff iv pushed it to 7.5v so far and cooling the hot side isnt to bad with my design. but i need the veriable so i can use it like a fridge thermastat (colder = more voltage) wich means peltier hot side needs more cooling so i could turn up the 2 fans if its variable.

ok if i understand your specs correctly you need:

1x 0-12VDC (variable) 1Amp Power supply
1x 0-9VDC (variable) 500mA Power supply

and you have a 12V 2A transformer? after rectification this should give about 17VDC. if this is the case, implement the circuit in the link that TheMG provided twice. Once for each power supply. Pull the datasheet for the LM317 and it will tell you what values of resistor/pot for the ADJ leg you will need to produce the correct range of voltages. Thus, when you get done, you will have two regulator circuits with two pots, one to adjust the 9VDC output and one to adjust the 12VDC. Since you will be pulling no more than 1.5A total (1A + 500mA) your 2A transformer should handle it fine. install fuses anyways however, of course.

i would NOT recommend hot rodding the existing power supply for the levels you specify, as you would be running the circuit and the transformer at over 4x its designed load. this is a recipe for sizzling stuff in a big way.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.