TO-3 transistor - best practice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is how you usually see them:

The top is free from cables, and insulated with the mica.
The screws are not insulated from the case.

Underneath, the screws are insulated from the heatsink with a plastic washer, quite the same as those used on TO-220 packages.
One of the screws has a "tabbed-washer" (don't know the name of those things...) to which you can solder the wire, and then a spring-washer to ensure tension, then the nut.

_

Attachments

• dsc_7404.jpg
    dsc_7404.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 246
...Sorry if the pictures are a "quick and dirty" job, I couldn't find a neat "exploded view" anywhere quick.
Anyway the thick green line represents the heatsink, the thin green line represents the mica; hardware is mounted in the shown sequence.

Edit: You can buy the entire kit (mica + all washers) for 25 cents.

Cheers,
pilli

_

Attachments

• dsc_7406.jpg
    dsc_7406.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 243
...a neat exploded view can be found on this site (towards the end of the page).
I am not sure I am allowed to paste here the copied picture, so just the link. And it is in French.
(The part labelled "canon" is a "nylon bush", all the rest is metal.)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/mgiaco/electron/radiateur/radiateur.htm#Assemblage

(For those who understand French, that page also has an extensive analysis of heatsinking.)

_

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.