Ho to remove Multi Pin IC"s without special tools??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks, I was wondering how you guys remove Multi pin IC"s from PCB"s without any special tools?? And without causeing the parts to heat up and be Damaged??

For me what I have been doing which isn"t allways be the best way is If I just need to components and don"t need the PCB I will use My dremmel and Cut the PCB were the Component is soldered ,I then use my dremmel to cut arround each Pin of the IC and then carefully use my Soldering iron and a Pair of Tweezers to carefully desolder each little piece of PCB material from each Pin of the IC...This is Time consumeing and doesn"t allways end in success...

Yesterday I tried desoldering Six 15 Pin TDA power amp IC"s from a curcuit board useing this method and I ended up Ruining 2 of the 6 IC"s...This method works better when there are less pins and they are spaced farther appart.....

What do you guys do to get IC"s out??

Cheers

I actually never had much luck with Solder Braid especially with Plated through Holes...I can get the Solder arround the Hole but the stuff in the middle of the Hole is allmost impossible to get out, Pluss I have to heat the Braid and the Pad up quite a bit to get all the Solder to stick to it which sometimes ruins the IC....

Tried it lots of times but without much success....I have also tried Solder suckers but they also don"t seem to work very well...

Somefimes I will just take a Blow torch to the Back of the PCB and heat it up till the Solder melts and give the board a good whack and then many of the components will fall out but this also can damageing them from heat.....

:D

A relatively easy way to do it is to put lots of solder on all the IC leads, forming one or two large beads. Heating these all at once (melting all the solder) frees the part.
The bad part is that the part sees lots of heat. You can buy special low temperature solder like Chip Quik (see http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-3450) which removes most of the risk (if used with a reduced-temperature tip). I've had very good luck with this. It is also very fast and less stressful on board than most methods.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Plated through holes are a problem. There is no easy DIY way I know of to remove I/C in one piece so it's reusable. You can remove I/C to replace part O.K. but thats about all. You need rework solder station to do what you are after, and that does not come cheap.
Keep whacking the board ;)

Try the Chip Quik. You may be surprised how well it works. When it melts into the existing normal solder, it reduces the melting temperature of the normal solder, too. so plated-thrus and vias are less of a problem. Beats the daylights out of using solder wick (which probably subjects the part to more heat).

When I worked at the hospital here in Regina, I fixed 100+ nurse call stations that used standard TTL logic chips. I used a solder iron and a solder sucker to desolder any ICs I had to replace. It worked every time. Some pins were tricky, but I never ruined any. The thing I found was to watch the solder turn to liquid, then wiggle the pin with the tip of the iron while the solder is liquid, then if the pin moves use the solder sucker to pull the solder off. Then wiggle the IC till it seems free from the board and use a small flat blade screwdriver to pop the IC out.

Remove ICs on double sided pcb...

U will need a soldering iron, a desoldering pump and a small nose plier

Apply extra solder on the pins.
Hold the pcb in component up position
Heat the IC pin from the ic side till the solder on solder side melts and suck with the pump from underneath.
Repeat for all the pins of the IC to be removed.
Now inspect the holes and repeat again from "Apply extra solder... for the holes which are not clear.
U will find that little solder is holding the pins at the place of physical contact between the hole and the IC pin.
Keep the iron and pump aside.
Using a nose plier, bend the IC pin in the direction of the holding solder and straighten it. This will break loose the pin.
Repeat for all pins and remove the IC after confirming all the pins are free.

If u want to just remove ICs from a discarded board, use iron and compressed air of 1-2 bars. Beware:WEAR EYE SAFETY GLASSES as the molten solder will keep flying.

Gajanan Phadte

davidallancole said:
When I worked at the hospital here in Regina, I fixed 100+ nurse call stations that used standard TTL logic chips. I used a solder iron and a solder sucker to desolder any ICs I had to replace. It worked every time. Some pins were tricky, but I never ruined any. The thing I found was to watch the solder turn to liquid, then wiggle the pin with the tip of the iron while the solder is liquid, then if the pin moves use the solder sucker to pull the solder off. Then wiggle the IC till it seems free from the board and use a small flat blade screwdriver to pop the IC out.

I do something similar.
Sometimes I'll heat up a few pins at a time,and then wiggle them as the solder cools,to help CREATE a bad/loose solder joint. Anything to get those pins loose!

TheMG said:
If you can afford it, a solder station with a desoldering vacuum tool works wonders. Show those double-sided pads who's boss!:D

Hmmm... I think that might be considered a "special tool" though.:(

Another vote here for "special tools". Sometimes you just need the tool for the job. I'd like to get a good desoldering vacuum iron. I got to use one back in tech school, and it was great!

Solder suckers built onto the iron are great. The solder stays hot as it's drawn away so all the solder comes off. A big plus for ICs and double side boards.

My favorite that I use is the $10 RadioShack 45W Desoldering Iron. It works well, you squeeze the bulb, then melt the solder with the tip, and let go of the bulb to suck it up, then blow the solder into a dish.

I've used these desoldering irons to extract ICs from boards and reuse them many times. I can even get IC's from double side boards, but its harder. I love to reuse parts from boards, and I can strip an entire PCB clean with one of these in an hour or so. But usually a good PCB, I keep it, and just take the parts off as I need them. I just removed a HA13158A Quad-BTL Amplifer IC from a dead JVC car stereo, and used it in a new PCB with success.

I have a hard time with braid, and it destroys the PCB tracks, and a springloaded solder sucker cools the solder as it sucks, so you get hard pieces stuck in it, or not all the joint sucks away.

For only $10, I just get a 45W desoldering iron, and it does the job great for a few years, and only occasionally needs a new tip. I've been using these irons for over 10 years because they work well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.