NEED 2SK225 & 2SJ81 FETs for Sugden amp! Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NEED 2SK225 & 2SJ81 FETs for Sugden amp! Help!

I NEED 2SK225 & 2SJ81 FETs for a recently dead channel in my dear old Sugden A25 amp-

These old Hitachi FETs are obsolete- and I cannot find a cross to them.

Can anyone offer a suggestion of a replacement pair?

And, if I replace the dead channel's pair, do I also need to replace the other channel's FETs to keep both left and right sounding the same?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, Can you first of all confirm what package they are. T03, or flat pack. By the way, have you tried E-Mailing Sugden to ask what they recommend. They are a very friendly bunch, and I had the good fortune of a tour of the factory a couple of years back. Worth a try ? Back to the FET's, there was a similar thread a while back and I made the mistake of assuming the 2SJ/K type were like the laterals we know today, when in fact they are not. Some of the very early FETS have very different transconductance characteristics and the pinch off voltage is significantly different, they are not directly equivalent with the modern types.
Regards Karl

Not bad after all

I eventually found exact replacements, some old stock that was in some dusty old box....

Thanks for all the suggestions.

By the way, Sugden kindly supplied a schematic for this amp, and I post it here for reference by anyone needing it.

a25.png

I need some help to resolve a problem with the two transistor on the 18v supply (BC639/BC640) They run very hot and finish to burn. I have 30v on the base and collector and 19v on the emitter on both. Should I check the current consumption that goes through the 18v supply to see if it does not overload the BC639/BC640?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.