Need help identify the diode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I am looking for replacement or upgrade of two diodes.

i was suggested to look for International Rectifier Hexfred Part #HFA08PB120 and #HFA08TA60C.

i found these on farnell. are they the same with the part no above?
http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1013358
http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1298419

the diode i am trying to replace look like the picture below. (not actual picture, but look the same)

as the pictures do not look the same? do they function the same or they suggested me to change the diodes?

Attachments

• diodes2a.jpg
    diodes2a.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 274
1N4007 Rectifier Diode suggested upgrade With International Rectifier Hexfred Part #HFA08PB120
and

1N4002 suggested upgrade with International Rectifier Hexfred Part #HFA08TA60C

will the suggested upgrade perform better function? as they both do not look the same. THX

AMC CVT-1030 schematic headphone amplifier

milen007 said:
need help on suggested improvement on capacitor or diode.
schematic are attached.

Depending how old this amplifier is, it can be a good idea
to replace all electrolytic capacitors.
Such Caps have liquid inside and so Dry Out year by year.

Other, solid and plastic capacitors do not age.
But if your amplifier is very old, a change to modern types might be an idea.
The improvement, in this case,
might be anything from no improvment to some little improvement.
:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See my AMC CVT 1030 headphone amp shematic attachment.

CVT 1030 has got a NE5532 Op-Amp based headphone amp.
For a cheap and easy upgrade of this headphone amplifier
I recommend this:

1. Replace Op-Amp with OPA2134.
In this case are no problems without any circuit modifications.

2. Replace those polarized 5 capacitors.
They have values 10uF and 22uF

Regards :)
lineup

Attachments

• amc_cvt-1030_headph-amp.png
    amc_cvt-1030_headph-amp.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 199
My experience is that fast rectifiers in the power supply generally produce better sound. I never tried Hexfreds, just Schottkys. But rectifiers are not the only factor determining the sound. Other passive components like electrolytic capacitors are also important.

Re: AMC CVT-1030 schematic headphone amplifier

Hi Lineup

changing op-amp dont change the overall sound right? only for headphone?

do you mod your 1030? mind sharing? thx

regards,
milen

lineup said:

Depending how old this amplifier is, it can be a good idea
to replace all electrolytic capacitors.
Such Caps have liquid inside and so Dry Out year by year.

Other, solid and plastic capacitors do not age.
But if your amplifier is very old, a change to modern types might be an idea.
The improvement, in this case,
might be anything from no improvment to some little improvement.
:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See my AMC CVT 1030 headphone amp shematic attachment.

CVT 1030 has got a NE5532 Op-Amp based headphone amp.
For a cheap and easy upgrade of this headphone amplifier
I recommend this:

1. Replace Op-Amp with OPA2134.
In this case are no problems without any circuit modifications.

2. Replace those polarized 5 capacitors.
They have values 10uF and 22uF

Regards :)
lineup

Awake thread... Awake!

Heh, I just bought 1030 A because I guess I'm an anti-purist & like bass & treble controls:) Oh, and I'm frugal, so $250 USD seemed nice. I feel its not a bad sounding preamp, but I've little experience.

Those caps look like the coupling & feedback 2.2µF polys & as above, don't age like electrolytics. And for myself, I'd agree on the above bit - that you may notice improvement w/their replacement depending on your ear & upstream/downstream components...

A nice upgrade could be some Sonicaps from:
http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicaps.htm
They are highly-regarded for the price & I've used them in a couple builds, but not really sure I could tell them apart in dbl-blind A/B comparisons... At least I know they aren't holding the sound back;)

AND, I'd 2nd the bit about possibly going after the electrolytics/cans... Esp. if they are in the signal path AND we know they are getting old.

I'm popping the main PCB out to tighten the cheapo tube pin sockets (noises now & then until I bang it or wiggle tubes).
I'll consider cap replacement too if I can get my hands on a good schematic... Bringing me to I have NO manual or schematic for the thing... Do you have either? I'm interested in the specs page & a high-res, full schematic - if you happen to have scans I'd love 'em.;)

cfcubed, pm me with your email add. i got the schematic and some recommendation from jeff at sonicraft. he is a very nice guys to work with. super fast shipment as well. i havent got the time to do the mod tho. but you might got some guideline to start. having someone to discuss about them also intrigue me to do my mods faster :)

Great help from milen007 & Jeff from Sonic Craft

Just wanted to update this thread for those owning good ol' 1030s...
Mods for this have made the rounds for sure (e.g. Regis post & others elsewhere going back at least to 2000) & I'm late to the game here for sure.

Jeff from Sonic Craft took a lot of time to list dream/ultimate mods for this unit for milen007 & I'm going to benefit from that.
But, exceptional support info & products from Sonic Craft is nothing new for anyone that's dealt w/them.

Won't be doing *all* the mods cause not sure how many $$$s to pound into this unit, but using what experience I have to try bang-for-the-buck ones (maybe spending $100 USD or so).

Anway, thanks again go to milen007 (& Jeff from Sonic Craft of course) & maybe I'll post back after I do my mods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.