Chinese Counterfeit Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Warning :
Just got some caps on fleabay and something didn't seem quite right so did a bit of (20/20 hindsight) research and found..
1: Nippon Chemicon don't make a 100uF 450 volt KMG cap
(the biggest at that voltage level in KMG is 47uF)
2: The KMG range is wire ended, not snap-in
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

M

Attachments

• 1015069_1.jpg
    1015069_1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 718
Nordic said:
You gotta be kidding.. is that the first time you see that pic?

I have even recommended people use this method, when refurbishing old gear, to keep the original look...

I must confess, it is the first time I've seen that pic.

For re-furbishing old gear, yeah great idea no probs there. But to put a 35 volt 2200uF cap in a 50v 6800uF? or have I mistaken the photo as a fake rather than a restoration? :xeye:

Cheers
Q

linuxguru said:
I think I've seen original Chemicon KMG or KMH 4700uF/50v snap-ins, so I'm not sure that's conclusive. However, there are several other indicators, including bad fonts, that indicate that the pic shown in the OP is that of a counterfeit.

There is another indicator not obvious from the picture - the text "negative black" printed on the plastic sleeve, yet neither rivet has a trace of black paint. I hope there are no Chinese counterfeiters reading this gathering hints on how to make more convincing looking fakes :)
M

i have purchased ready built psu off ebay ( well known seller from china ) with 6 80v 10.000uf caps advertised as rubycon caps . the caps supplied on psu are marked nippon chehicon kmh 80v 10.000uf 105c having read about fake caps i am unsure of caps i have . it seems chemicon do not sell kmh 80v 10.000uf ? advise needed thankyou bernard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.