low esr caps.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What to look for in a low esr caps? i'm looking at panasonic fc from digikey , what do the following mean and how do they determine how the caps performance? I know that there are probably other caps out there like blckgates and rubycons but are pricier.

I have 3 project going on at the moment and I'm not looking to break the bank with the components unless i really need to,

1 leakage current,

2 Impendence

3 ripple current

do I look for high or low numbers for each one?

Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wendell said:
What to look for in a low esr caps? i'm looking at panasonic fc from digikey , what do the following mean and how do they determine how the caps performance? I know that there are probably other caps out there like blckgates and rubycons but are pricier.

I have 3 project going on at the moment and I'm not looking to break the bank with the components unless i really need to,

1 leakage current,

2 Impendence

3 ripple current

do I look for high or low numbers for each one?

Thanks

1. low

2. low

3. high

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, Caps designed for switch mode PSU usually low impedance. This is linked to a low E.S.R. or equivalent series resistance. These are well suited for use where the ripple component is of high frequency. These often have 105 degree temperature rating as well. Leakage current is not an issue with any modern electrolytic. Ripple current is the amount of allowable current the capacitor can pass without overheating and is usually measured at 100hz or so. High ripple current is important for main smoothing caps in high current powersupplies. All electroylitics exhibit a rise in inductance with increasing frequency and this limits their effectiveness anyway, it is beneficial to add a small 0.1mfd cap across cap to counter this.
Regards Karl

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There's no yes or no answer to that one :) The low ESR cap is better able to decouple at HF. If it helps reduce noise on a rail that is beneficial, but it does not neccesarily mean the improvement is audible. Each and every capacitor has to be chosen according to it's function. Low ESR caps for example often have lower ripple current ratings at mains frequency (50/60hz) so are less well suited to some linear power supply applications. If you want a decoupling cap for a SMPSU running at 100khz you would be looking at a low ESR type, possibly with further bypassing with a small 0.1 or similar. There's no one size fits all.
Regards Karl

Hi,

This is for an output cap to the speakers, right? Panasonic has great caps. There's a thread by P-A here that proves that.

The Digikey catalog shows the ripple handling current at various frequencies. What I would do is look for the one with the highest ripple handling current at 60 or 120Hz and get that. Then bridge the terminals with a 1 or 2.2uF polyester cap in the circuit.

And IMO, after repeated testing in this area, a generic Rubycon will smoke a Blackgate - the only thing the Blackgate smokes is your wallet :clown:

Cheers!

why does Farnell only stock low voltage caps for low impedance/ high capacitance ZLx series caps? if they're going to be used for power supplies wouldn't >50V be nice?

Remember, the ZL/ZLH series are used for the output side of SMPS where voltages of 12,5 and 3.3v are typical. If you want something for smoothing a linear supply then look at the Panasonic FC/FM series.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.