BNC connectors a ggod alternate to RCA - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2003, 02:29 AM   #11
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

1. BNC = Bayonet N Connector. "N Connector" is another
type of connector. N may or may not stand for naval.

2. Lemos are cool if a bit pricey. Levinson made an
attempt at standardizing on a Lemo (or was it Fischer?)
but everyone just ended up with bunches of pigtail adapters.

3. Lemo or one of its clones now has a lower price plastic
version that might be interesting.

4. Maybe we at diyAudio should pick and standardize on
a particular Lemo and create our own defacto standard.
Maybe some day the commercial manufacturers will follow
suit.

5. If you think RCA connectors are bad, just be glad
we don't have to use Motorola connectors. (no this is
not a joke; more of a trivia question)
Old 7th March 2003, 02:35 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

By "Motorola connectors" do you mean things like SO-239s?

LEMOs are cool, but Hirose and similar are just as good and a lot cheaper.
Old 7th March 2003, 02:35 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Someone from Tucson crit MOT ?

critize Galvin, the boy wonder who drove MOT to the Wall. I feel sorry for ON-Semi which has very nice folks working there, at least to the extent that I have to deal with them.

An "N" connector is a UHF connector -- I used these when I did 1296 MHz as a ham op.

A Motorola Connector is used for AM radios in cars, who wouldn't know that -- now it does have a close "high end" relative which is, in fact, a great connector -- the WECO and WECO mini series.

A really, really great connector used on Electrometers is the Triax -- looks like a BNC, but with three lugs instead of two, and two shields -- these are found on very high end lab equipment.
Old 7th March 2003, 02:39 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianL
3. Lemo or one of its clones now has a lower price plastic
version that might be interesting.
Correct, I just looked on the next page of my catalogue there are plastic Lemo brand connectors for 40-50% the cost of the metal ones.
Old 7th March 2003, 02:44 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default SO-239/PL-259

you ain't lived until you've had to solder these things up 60 feet on a tower while the wind is blowing at 20+ mph !
Old 7th March 2003, 04:13 AM   #16
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've lived, then. That's how I was initiated into one of our local ham clubs when I was a kid. I still get vertigo at the sight of RG-8U.
Old 7th March 2003, 09:57 AM   #17
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

FWIW....

The 50 ohm of a BNC is of course only relevant on RF frequencies. For audio the BNC represents a high quality connector a par with any others of high quality, like the Lemo CAMAC connectors used by Levinson. The CAMAC connectors only pre must be its size, - the rest,- as price, availability, handling etc. are only in its disfavour. The CAMAC was, and probably still is, extensively used in terminated patch fields, where its size is a definite advantage. Both BNCs, CAMACs, and evt others coaxial connectors like N, C, etc. are all for coaxial cables of course, and if one concludes, as some people do, that silver /teflon coaxial cables will make IC cables fully a par with alle the snake oil in the market, the BNC will be an excellent choice for audio. If one wants to take it even further, consider the smaller gold plated SMA screw on or SMB snap on connectors.

For audio, screened, non-coaxial cables have long been the standard. For these cables the RCA and the XLR have served us well for many years. The fact that the original RCA and some of the XLRs was and still is of a rather dubious and flimsy construction, does not contradict the high quality versions we have today, even if the price for these alternatives seems quite heftily overpriced, compared to the coaxial plugs. The price of WBTs top range of appx USD 30 ++ apiece is quite appaling compared to the USD10 for a gold plated SMA.

The use of RCAs for RF interconnects within units is quite OK, given the RF rule that a conductor shorter than 1/10 wavelengt can rather safely be treated as a short wire, without the need for resorting to coax cables and plugs. The RCA plug is of no-determined impdance.
The SO-239 was originally defined as a non-terminated coax connector, because of its construction. In Europe it is often referred to as a UHF connector, and often said it earned its name because of its total uselessness at UHF frequencies.....

In HiFi, cables are short, - much shorter than the 1/10 lambda rule applied in RF, thus impedance related cables and connectors have no tradition. Telephone companies and larger studioes have had to relate to transmission line audio for decades. But there is nothing wrong in applying transmission line theory and coaxial cables/plugs within HiFi, provided you accept the "Sonic qualities" of the cables/plugs in use. In my mind silver/teflon coax and BNCs do an excellent job.

BTW---- CAMAC= Computer Automated Measurement and Control
Old 7th March 2003, 04:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Yeah yeah, the TL wires thing was a joke.. I know the wave is way too long.. But I believe that telephone has to deal with it!
Power companies do, too.. which is kinda ironic how the lower frequency power is on the smaller continents (Britain, etc.) and 60Hz covers the Americas! (Or does it, in South A.?)

Tim
Old 13th March 2003, 08:27 PM   #19
JohnG is offline JohnG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Twinax

UHF connector = Useless high frequency connector!

Don't forget twinax:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twinax.jpg (12.7 KB, 261 views)
Old 13th March 2003, 09:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Quote:
Power companies do, too.. which is kinda ironic how the lower frequency power is on the smaller continents (Britain, etc.) and 60Hz covers the Americas! (Or does it, in South A.?)
South America was on 50 Hz for a short time early in the 20th century. This was during the same period of time that North America was using 25 Hz transmissions.

The one octave difference in line frequency was harmonious.

A problem arose when the North converted to 60 Hz mid century.

A tremendous 10 Hz Beat Frequency Oscillation (BFO) was created.

There is a natural difference in salinity between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. This establishes a mild electric current flow across the cannel.

The BFO was inducing a force across the electrically charged cannel waters that would react against the earthís magnetic field. At first the motion was barely noticeable, an extra eddy in the flow of water. However within a week engineers observed rapid oscillations in water depth flowing up and down the length of the canal.

Engineers quickly surmised the cause of the problem and calculated that within a month the locks in the canal would be destroyed by the wildly varying hydraulic pressures

FDR made a personal trip to visit with the leaders of the other hemisphere and applied significant political will to get them to "update" their line frequency from metric to chronos. Apparently the name Roosevelt still carried some weight because of the former president, and FDRís namesake, Theodore Rooseveltís activities in the region.

(I think I should go back to work and stop bothering people)

Hide this!Advertise here!