Successful Opamp Upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Account Disabled

Default Successful Opamp Upgrade

I just finished upgrading the opamps in my CD player, I went from NE5553 (?) opamps to Burr Brown OPA2134. I have let it run for about 10 hours now, and I must say that there is a difference. I cant quite put my finger on it, but it just seems easier to listen to. I think it was definitely worth the upgrade.

-Paul
Old 5th March 2003, 04:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Which Cd player.

Hi Paul,
Which CD player do you have? Would you know what DAC chip it uses.
Thanks,
Ashok.
Old 5th March 2003, 05:00 PM   #3
Account Disabled

It is a harman Kardon FL8850, it uses the 20-bit burr-brown DAC
Old 5th March 2003, 05:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Further refinements.

Hi Paul,
I do not know much about your machine. I suggest that after you settle in with your present upgrade you should consider having an external tube amp for the DAC. I cannot say right now ,what you should be doing.
My Rotel 855 was also modified. I used an OPA2134 which improved the sound tremendously. But I also have the ability to connect an external tube gain stage. This surely sounds much nicer than the OPA2134 which by itself is quite good.
So spend some time on the forum looking at what everyone is doing with tubes. I think the effort ( later on ) will be worth it.
the gains are more in imaging , low level sounds and mainly the "voice".
Cheers.
Old 5th March 2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Account Disabled

Yeah, I was considering that route, but being a poor college student I dont really want to shell out the bucks on that, I would rather pursue gains in other departments (speakers) soon. The more I listen to this, the more I can hear the tremendous difference, the cymbols sound soooo much more real, transients sound better as well, and the voice is much nicer, more neutral, warmer, and less jagged.

-Paul
Old 5th March 2003, 05:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zx3chris
Default overestimating your hearing

i myself am a poor college student as well but atleast ive learned enough to know you cant hear the difference in DACs... ...save ur cash dude

whats your major??

-chris
Old 5th March 2003, 06:13 PM   #7
Account Disabled

BSEE, and still looking for a job. Geez, I wish it was two years ago, or maybe two years from now.

-Paul
Old 5th March 2003, 08:12 PM   #8
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: overestimating your hearing

Quote:
Originally posted by zx3chris
i myself am a poor college student as well but atleast ive learned enough to know you cant hear the difference in DACs... ...save ur cash dude
I have not "golden ears" but I can say that a Denon DCD-1500 with LC-filters compared to my CS4328 DAC (or any modern DAC I suppose?), the difference is not small! If you don't have heard anyhting better than an old CD you won't suffer so much but if you have heard the latest, the old stuff is "old", no charm at all, like tubes.
Old 5th March 2003, 10:16 PM   #9
Gunders is offline Gunders  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have also changed the opamps in my CD-player, In fact I think it was the same opamps you changed, NE5553 or something.
And I too used the OPA2134, but later I saw better opamps that I could used instead
My CD-player is a Sony CDP-XE700, not a very good player, but I heard a big difference, and it was absolutely worth it.

I didn't solder the opamps directly to the print, I used a socket so i could more easily change opamps later.

And the thing about DACs....
I think you can hear major differences between DACs, especially I find many of the 1-bit delta-sigma converters bad.
In fact I'm also planning to build a DAC,hopefully much better than the one found in my current CD-player, it's not a very expensive player so I don't think it will be hard to make a better alternative.

And a question to you Per Anders:
What's the english word for "drivverk"... you know cd drivverk
Old 5th March 2003, 10:31 PM   #10
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: overestimating your hearing

Quote:
Originally posted by zx3chris

whats your major??

-chris
Did you learn this in school or by listening? They tought me that too at the university and old man Nyqvist agreed. Just after that lesson I understood that what they did was teach me a greatly simplified version of the truth that under very specific circumstances could be almost true. Unfortunately it did not have much to do with reality. Shortly after that I listened and noticed the huge differences.

I only wish there was time to tell the truth in school. You learn a lot and then you have to find the real truth yourself.

Hide this!Advertise here!