Rotary Switch Redux ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this rotary switch. I want to use it to switch from a stereo input to one of two other outputs.
In other words, the standard switch input to one of two outputs.
Im assuming i will have to run a "buss" for grounds.

I need someone to tell me how/where to solder the wires so this will work. Ive ripped whats left of the hair out of my head, i know its simple, but ive been throwing things and its p*ssing off the wife. Im now in therapy and still no switch.

Switch Specs: 44M30-02-2-03N
Rotary Switch, Military 85°C, 30°, 2 deck, 2 pole/deck, 3 positions/pole, non-shorting

link to switch:
http://lgrws01.grayhill.com/web/images/ProductImages/Rotary_42,43,44,54.pdf

i forgot to say thanks, sorry :O)

Attachments

• rotaary.jpg
    rotaary.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 163
Do you have an Ohm meter? You can use it to verify what is connected to what, for each switch position. Resistance (Ohms) between two switch contacts will be near zero when they are connected, and very large when they are not connected.

You have 2 decks, with 2 poles per deck. You have three positions. So you essentially have a 4-pole 3-position switch. So you can switch one set of four wires to connect to any one of three other sets of four wires.

For each deck, the 'common' terminal for each pole (C1 and C2 in second diagram on second page of datasheet) will be connected to one of the three terminals that belong to it, with 'which one' depending on the switch position. Use your Ohmmeter to find out which pin connects to each 'C' pole pin, for each position.

Since you have four poles, you could switch all four stereo connections separately, i.e. left +, left gnd, right +, right gnd, and not use a ground buss.

With three positions, you could switch the 'common' or pole terminals to connect to any of three different outputs. So, for only two, you will have one terminal unused, for each pole. Your model should have adjustable stop rings, so you could limit the switch to two positions.

switch redux

Heyas !
Thanks a million for the response. I should have known that but my lord, my eyes were bleeding i studied it so long, should have went with my first instinct.

Thanks yet again !

P.S: i visited your web page, can yopu deliver that pizza to florida ???

Re: switch redux

udtman said:
Heyas !
Thanks a million for the response. I should have known that but my lord, my eyes were bleeding i studied it so long, should have went with my first instinct.

Thanks yet again !

P.S: i visited your web page, can yopu deliver that pizza to florida ???

Well, SURE I can deliver that pizza to Florida. You might not like the price quote, though! One reason I posted the recipe and procedure in such excruciating detail is so people who have never made one before (or never even cooked anything at all, before) can be successful the very first time. Try it! It's actually fun to do AND makes a really-great pizza, in a relatively-short time. (Besides, with the money you save by making it yourself, you can afford exquisite toppings or a cheap bottle of Cabernet or Merlot.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.