Why prices are so different? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2003, 01:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Why prices are so different?

Do you know why here in Europe some (I'd say almost everythinhg) hi-fi related items have so different prices compared to USA?

I take as example some tweeters I wanted to buy, the Bohlender Graebener NEO3 (faceplate version):

Europe : 85 €
USA: (PartsExpress): 48.66 €
Canada : 79 CAN $ (53 US $)

Dayton PT2

Europe: 70 €

USA: 27.5 $

Even considering taxes it is clear that in Europe such items are a bit overpriced, don't you think?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 4th March 2003, 01:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
So what is it, that is cheap in Europe? We might do some free trading.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th March 2003, 01:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

Certainly not electronics. But we have better cheeses, beer...

1 scan/speak revelator tweeter for 10 cases of belgian beer
Old 4th March 2003, 01:56 PM   #4
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Why prices are so different?

Quote:
Originally posted by Andypairo
Do you know why here in Europe some (I'd say almost everythinhg) hi-fi related items have so different prices compared to USA?

I take as example some tweeters I wanted to buy, the Bohlender Graebener NEO3 (faceplate version):

Europe : 85 €
USA: (PartsExpress): 48.66 €
Canada : 79 CAN $ (53 US $)

Dayton PT2

Europe: 70 €

USA: 27.5 $

Even considering taxes it is clear that in Europe such items are a bit overpriced, don't you think?

Cheers

Andrea
Taxes AND customs?

Very often prices also reflect what level of exclusiveness the supplier wants his products to be.
Old 4th March 2003, 01:57 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Clearly, you haven't had experience with fine American cheeses. I'll put Humboldt Fog up against anything made in Europe. Ditto Bulk Farms, Cougar Gold, Grafton Cheddar...

How about comparing the prices of European-made drivers from one place to the other. What do Scan-Speak tweeters go for over there?
Old 4th March 2003, 02:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Clearly, you haven't had experience with fine American cheeses. I'll put Humboldt Fog up against anything made in Europe. Ditto Bulk Farms, Cougar Gold, Grafton Cheddar...

How about comparing the prices of European-made drivers from one place to the other. What do Scan-Speak tweeters go for over there?

I have to admit I haven't tried those cheeses. When I was in the states I found that there were very few cheeses to choose from. But I went to the southwest. probably not the best place to find good food. Maybe the worst place in the world to find good food...
Old 4th March 2003, 02:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

The key is not where you are, it's where you shop. There are some superb cheeses made in the Southwest (especially Mexican types). It's just that mass-market cheese is as tasty as mass-market beer.

That being said, I do crave St-Marcellin and Rigottes de Condrieu when I'm away from France.

I wonder about differences in tube prices, also. Are Eastern European and Russian tubes cheaper over there?
Old 4th March 2003, 02:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Wine, for example... in Italy we have some of the best wines of the world, and if you know where to look for them you can grab some good deals...
Unfortunately artistic beauties and food specialities are non-exportable...

What can I trade for a pair of Neo3?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 4th March 2003, 03:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Bordeaux is cheaper in the US

at least the big labels (say a Lynch Bages) so are the Cotes d Rhone and Burgundies-- as I said, if you are looking at the big exported labels anyway. Well, with the limited time over there, at least for me it's only 10 days at a stretch, you aren't going to drink something which you can get at home.

If you go just slightly to the left or right you find phenomenal bargains in France, but you have to drink them.

OT - Best wine stewards -- for some reason there are quite a number of South African wine stewards in the south of France who are very knowledgeable and mindful of economics.
Old 4th March 2003, 03:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Bordeaux is a special case, since the distribution systems have been set up for a century to prevent anyone from getting a bargain. Champagne, ditto. But look at the difference with other wines: Côte-Rôties that sell for $60-80 here are available ex-cellar for $15-20. Montrachet that would cost me $500-1000 a bottle in the US sells for under a C-note (if you can convince the winemaker to sell you some; my charming country French with a horrible American accent worked well). Old Loires that are just unobtainable in the US are available for $20 or so at the cellar. The key, as with cheese in the US, is to avoid shops and buy direct.

Hide this!Advertise here!