Symmetrical supply rails with a 2 wire transformer, is it possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
try this:

Attachments

• sim.jpg
    sim.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 297
I suppose that'll work...but you can do better with a true full-wave voltage doubler. You can even use a bridge rect. here, though half the diodes act in parallel (IIRC), so it's less effective. (This strategy is used in dual-voltage switching supplies, where a switch or jumper changes it from FWB to FWD mode. Yep, the primary circuits have 340VDC on them!)
Anywho - it's basically two half-wave rectifiers pointing in opposite directions. One end of the transformer feeds a 'CT' between the two main filter caps, the other end feeds diodes which pump the caps alternately. This is known as a full-wave doubler because the ripple output is 120Hz, due to the stacked nature of the circuit.

I'll grab a circuit in a second...

Tim

This is also a pssebillity, little bit easy'r

some minor points
- buffer elco's must be 2X bigger then normally
- diodes must be able to handle a lot of current

note, total output voltage is double then normally

Greetz Rudy ( dahm dots :mad: )

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 282
Bricolo, Circlotron

Definitely won't work. Transformer is s/c by upper bridge top left diode in series with lower bridge bottom right diode. Sorry to be a party pooper.

I apologise for this hasting post ! sorry Bricolo !
I will learn to use sim tools a bit (a lot of bits !) better and will improve my electrical understanding skill, before replying to other similar posts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.