How to separate E from I in transformer? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2003, 12:21 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just soak the thing in a big container of acetone. I do it all the time with switching power supply transformers. Takes some time for the varnish to soften up, and you can't use the wire again, but it works well.

-Dan
Old 4th March 2003, 12:50 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Nail polish remover even.

Excellent! Is paint thinners suitable or only straight acetone? I have two trannies that have been submerged in gasoline for a little over 2 weeks now. Do you think that would work much?
Old 5th March 2003, 12:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Nail polish remover even.

Quote:
Originally posted by Circlotron
Excellent! Is paint thinners suitable or only straight acetone? I have two trannies that have been submerged in gasoline for a little over 2 weeks now. Do you think that would work much?
Dunno about gas... ...gotta pick your solvent for your purpose. The acetone will soften the surface varnish immediatley... ...it'll be tacky as soon as you get it wet. Do the same check with the gas. It takes time to soak into the little cracks and crevices.

Nail polish remover used to be acetone, but I think the stuff used now is a non-acetone chemical. (Wife just verified some of it is not acetone) You can buy actone in most painting supply stores... ...I even buy it at wal-mart. It's not really all that expensive.

I just store the transformers in the acetone until I'm ready to unwind them. It also helps to use a pair of chemical resistant gloves when unwinding the transformer... ...as soon as the acteone dries, the varnish seems to set up again Gets all over your fingers otherwise...

-Dan

(Foget the pic, I can't get it to post!!!!)
Old 5th March 2003, 12:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

When new EI lamination has a thin oxide layer left by the oil used during stamping (cutting) with the die. This oxide forms after they heat the cut laminations in an oven.

In my experiance the best way to undoo a transformer is by heating it to burn all but the metal. Heating lamination wont degrade it, in the contrary it may betterd it and you will still have an oxide layer. It wont act a a solid chunk of iron.

When putting back the transformer you must varnish it again, with thin electrical varnish this will penetrate beteen the lamination. After this proccess you will find the efficiency of the trany will be better than before (to various degrees).

What degrades lamination is the mechanical work over it like hammering or tweesting.

Never tested using solvent to undoo a trany so can't comment.
Old 5th March 2003, 12:33 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

After burning a transformer don't cool it on water it's best to let it cool as slow as possible.
Old 1st November 2006, 08:20 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

OK, cool. Into the bath of acetone goes my little wall-wart transformer

Hide this!Advertise here!