Transformer Marked G-16

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this transformer in my junk box. It's marked only "G-16" on the top.

Width 2 3/4"
Height 2 1/4"
Depth 2 1/2"
(It's the exact same size as a 12.6-0-12.6 2A Archer transformer I have)

Wires on one side--

Red
Black
Red

Wires other side--

White
Black
Orange
Brown

Any idea what this might be good for? What's the primary? Any way to figure out what it does? Power / Audio?

Well it looks like a Dual primary with Center Tapped secondary ,

The:

White
Black
Orange
Brown

Wires are "Probably" your primary wires , I can not tell you which wires are for each primary (Cuz all Transformers are Different) but you generally wire each secondary In Paralell for 120V Operation and in series for 240v operation ,The White and Black are probably one primary and the Orange and brown are probably your other secondary.....But don"t take my word for it!!

The Red ,Black, and Red wires are "Probably" your secondary ,The 2 red ones will be your Secondary voltage and the Black one will be your center tap ....

The only one who can tell you what the secondary Voltages are is you By testing them.....

You will then need to first Figure out what wires are for each of your primaries , to do this I believe you can use a DC Resistance meter (Or the resistance setting on your DMM) and measure which primary wires have continuity , once you have figured out which 2 wires are for each primary you will need need to wire them in series or paralell (depending on your wall Voltage) if you wire the Primaries out of Phaze you will probably notice no or very little voltage on your secondaries and you might even hear a Hum from the Transformer or your lights might dim or you might even blow your Breaker, If this Happens you will know you have wired it out of Phaze and you just reverce the Primary wires and then it should work properly ,when testing the primary you should have the secondaries hooked up to your Volt Meter and only plug in the Transformer just long enough to know if you have it wired correctly as leaveing it plugged in while wired wrong can dammage your transformer....

I hope this helps a bit!!!

Cheers

I think that the side where there are the colour red, black and red can be the primary because if it is a 110 or 220 transformers i think that he can have tha ground, N and F if it is a audio or a power transformers , i think it as a power transformer because i haven't never see a audio transformars whit four cable but only tree

Well I measured it and got--

Red -- 4 Ohm -- Black -- 4 Ohm -- Red

On the other side. One set of two colors was about 40 Ohm and the other two colors were also 40 Ohm.

If the Red-Blk-Red were primary then the two outputs would be the same and I doubt that.

I think the first follow up is right. To 120v primaries and a center tapped secondary. Since the R ration is about 10:1, it's probably 12-0-12v. I'd have to fire it up to check.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.