Can someone identify this component? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2008, 04:54 PM   #1
teemuk is offline teemuk  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Can someone identify this component?

I was cannibalizing this old integrated tuner-amplifier when I came across this mysterious component (see attachment). I don’t have a photo but one would not likely be any help either since there were no type markings of any kind. Here’s a verbal description, though: The component has three pins and two of them are closer to each other like depicted in the (quickly drawn) picture. One pin connects to the ground reference, one pin connects to audio output of the tuner circuit board and one pin connects to audio output of FM stereo demodulator chip (MC1309P) through a coupling capacitor. There were two of these components, one for each channel. The component has a plastic casing (without type markings) and the plastic case was covered by a metal “cage” that was bent from thin sheet metal. Its size is that of an ordinary relay – and relay was in fact the first thing I thought the component was. However, considering the pinout and the circuit configuration that doesn't make any sense.

I am completely puzzled by this - could it be somekind of an auto-transformer?
Attached Images
File Type: gif mysterious_component.gif (2.4 KB, 262 views)
Old 27th February 2008, 05:17 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Can someone identify this component?

Quote:
Originally posted by teemuk
I was cannibalizing this old integrated tuner-amplifier when I came across this mysterious component (see attachment). I don’t have a photo but one would not likely be any help either since there were no type markings of any kind. Here’s a verbal description, though: The component has three pins and two of them are closer to each other like depicted in the (quickly drawn) picture. One pin connects to the ground reference, one pin connects to audio output of the tuner circuit board and one pin connects to audio output of FM stereo demodulator chip (MC1309P) through a coupling capacitor. There were two of these components, one for each channel. The component has a plastic casing (without type markings) and the plastic case was covered by a metal “cage” that was bent from thin sheet metal. Its size is that of an ordinary relay – and relay was in fact the first thing I thought the component was. However, considering the pinout and the circuit configuration that doesn't make any sense.

I am completely puzzled by this - could it be somekind of an auto-transformer?
Band-pass filter
Old 27th February 2008, 05:58 PM   #3
teemuk is offline teemuk  Finland
diyAudio Member

Now why didn’t I think of that?

Makes sense. Thanks Poynton.
Old 27th February 2008, 06:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you're describing a "SAW Device."

A SAW device is basically a capacitive piezo driver mounted on a substrate with a piezo receiver on the other end. It only couples signals in a fairly narrow band from transmitter to receiver. As I recall, the substrate is actually resonating (standing waves). They make awesome filters.
Sometimes they're called SAW Resonators, but are more commonly referred to as SAW Filters.
Old 28th February 2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Can someone identify this component?

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton

Band-pass filter
More accurately, probably a combination of low-pass filter and notch filter(s). (At 19 and 38KHz).
Old 29th February 2008, 03:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Petraman7
A SAW filter wont output an audio signal. It's most likely a filter. Input and output have a common ground
Old 29th February 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Can someone identify this component?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvee

More accurately, probably a combination of low-pass filter and notch filter(s). (At 19 and 38KHz).
They used it back when tape recordes were more common than nowadays. The bias oscillator created a very annoying audible beat with the 19/38 kHz, the filter was there to prevent this.

Hide this!Advertise here!