Where to Sell - Ebay is not working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to have time to build DIY projects. Now my kids are my DIY projects.

I have tons of electronic components that would normally be used in audio gear that I would like to sell. I've tried Ebay but nobody there seems to have an appreciation for the finer things in audio.

Does anyone know of a forum or a site where I could sell raw components like transformers, capacitors, output FETs, etc.?

The 'problem' with Ebay is that everyone (including me) expects a bargain.

If you price something realistically, it is unlikely to sell.

Usually, I find the best way is to use "Buy-it-now" with the "Make an offer" option. At least then you get an idea of a target price in the event that it does not sell.

Andy

Ebay sellers make many mistakes.

1: starting a normal auction the price at more than 20% of what you really want for it. Best to start from a few dollars. If I saw an amp starting at $500 that I knew was worth $700 I wouldn't even bother looking, the final price is likely to be too high for me.

2: Poor photos that don't show much detail, find some damage and photograph it in minute detail. This shows you are honest and the problems are what the buyer really wants to know about, Warm tubes by candle-light are for magazines, not ebay.

3: high shipping prices without reason, if it's 25kG make sure it's very obvious, many shonky sellers charge $50 shipping for small items and hope people don't notice, experienced buyers see high shipping prices and are put off. Investigate the shipping, I bought a 27kg amp for $80 but it cost me $120 to get it shipped, by road across 3 states.

4: The text: not enough, poorly spelled, lots of !!!! and BIG TEXT. You want give the impression you are a seller with a slightly neurotic attention to detail. The best car I ever had was owned by an OCD sufferer. He vacuumed it after I test drove it while I was still there. I knew it was well looked after.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I'd caution against starting auctions too low unless you are sure there is high demand for the item, as evidenced by completed sales. If the item is of low interest you run the risk of giving it away if you start too low. For low demand items, I'd suggest starting the auction from the absolute minimum amount you would realistically accept for the item.

Otherwise I agree 100% with OzMikeH, detailed description which is accurate and takes pains to point out imperfections, good photo's showing the item and detail shots highlighting visible damage.

OzMikeH said:
Ebay sellers make many mistakes.

1: starting a normal auction the price at more than 20% of what you really want for it. Best to start from a few dollars. If I saw an amp starting at $500 that I knew was worth $700 I wouldn't even bother looking, the final price is likely to be too high for me.

spzzzzkt said:
I'd caution against starting auctions too low unless you are sure there is high demand for the item, as evidenced by completed sales. If the item is of low interest you run the risk of giving it away if you start too low. For low demand items, I'd suggest starting the auction from the absolute minimum amount you would realistically accept for the item.

Both valid points, OzMikeH's other points are very valid.

Case in point, we bought a new car recently and couldn't use the old car seat covers from the previous car (and didn't want to give them away with the trade in) due to the new seat airbags. My missus wanted at least $50 and wanted to list them starting at that price. I said we should start at $0.99 as there will be more interest. We compromised at my highest start-point ($19.50) and got $67 - which, from memory, is only $8 less than we paid for them (on special).

Yes, you can get less than you wished, if you start low. But, if you're not flooding the market (only put one similar item at a time - and not while someone else is selling one), the item is in good condition and there is a demand for it, then low starts generate much more interest.

Another turn-off, for me, is the use of reserve. It's not used in Australia, but I wouldn't bid on anything unless the reserve has been met (which it often isn't). Others may differ in this opinion.

What sort of stuff are you talking about? There's often a thriving market for all sorts of stuff on the 'bay. I was getting 80%+ of purchase price on the transformers and caps I listed on there recently (often with 10+ people watching the auctions). But I don't think you can expect to make a profit...

What kind of shipping charges are you asking for, by the way?

80% of the reason I won't touch an auction is normally due to shipping gouging. My feedback is (464).

For example, it sure as hell doesn't cost $14.95 to ship a 1 lb. item in the USA.

That tends to be a pretty big problem on eBay. And now the buyer can pick "lowes costt: price + shipping" to start eliminating inflated shipping auctions.

Well, at any rate, good luck. I bet you'll sell it. I've started ditching retail and looking for almost everything on eBay.

IMO, there are an awful lot of parts out there, and pretty good ones. There are also very few people that actually build anything from scratch anymore. I've bought a lot of surplus parts over the years, and I'd never pay more than about ten to twenty cents on the dollar for the creme of the crop, and far less for common parts. Nor do I sell anything. It simply isn't worth the time to list and sell and box up and ship- I'd be ahead of the game monetarily to just throw the parts away and go to work. Everybody's situation is different, but you might have unrealistic expectations about how many people have the time to scour eBay for parts, then pay anywhere near the original cost for them, plus shipping. Now, if you have complete sets of parts for a specific project, or have repair parts for something everybody needs to fix, that's a different story.

shoshaw said:
I used to have time to build DIY projects. Now my kids are my DIY projects.

I have tons of electronic components that would normally be used in audio gear that I would like to sell. I've tried Ebay but nobody there seems to have an appreciation for the finer things in audio.

Does anyone know of a forum or a site where I could sell raw components like transformers, capacitors, output FETs, etc.?

Try the trading post in this forum...It is free and you might be surprised.

Most of us buy too much...many times we let our dreams spend our money.. Best to let things go before we go.. Ebay is not the answer because YOU can list one very good item which gets lost in the general shuffle. It's like putting a Tiffany Lamp out in a garage sale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.