Is this glue or explosed electrolytics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just opened a cd player I recieved, and I saw this orange thing around 2 caps

For those who are experienced about working with electrolytics, does this look like a cap that has leaked?

The 2 caps you see on the back haven't this orange thing

Attachments

• dscf0010.jpg
    dscf0010.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 597
Bricolo, old buddy, that appears to be some kind of adhesive. It's meant to keep the larger electrolytic caps from breaking the solder joints and circuit traces if the player is dropped.

That type of capacitor has the pressure relief on the end that is visible. See where the aluminum can is grooved? That's what will bulge and eventually burst if the cap goes short circuit.

That stuff does look uncomfortably like electrolyte goo, but it's not.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Keld said:
Hi
This is the way it looks just before it blows,
or maybe this one is in a transistion period to become a tube.

Keld

No always IMO.
Some elco's in power supplies have the top rounded. Particularly the capacitors just after the mains rectifier in TV sets or computer PSU's.
It's a plastic cap, and when you push the plastic you will feel that there is nothing but air underneath.

But in some case it could be an example of what is a swollen capacitor.

Watch out when they become transparent...:devilr::clown:

/Hugo - Loves the warm glow of transparent capacitors ;)

Netlist said:

No always IMO.
Some elco's in power supplies have the top rounded. Particularly the capacitors just after the mains rectifier in TV sets or computer PSU's.
It's a plastic cap, and when you push the plastic you will feel that there is nothing but air underneath.

But in some case it could be an example of what is a swollen capacitor.

Watch out when they become transparent...:devilr::clown:

/Hugo - Loves the warm glow of transparent capacitors ;)

Hi
Actually you are quite right. I just cut the cap open and under the plastic there was a nice flat surface:blush: . So what I thought was a almost blowout was ---- air. And it used to be in my TV PSU.

Keld.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.