To Make Good PCB at home - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question To Make Good PCB at home

Hai all of DIY'er can you tell me to make good PCB with the simple process? last time i am make Aleph PCB the are bad!
Mr Fotios please helps me ????

Thank and God Bless You all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my bad pcb of aleph.jpg (35.8 KB, 1804 views)
Old 21st February 2008, 04:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think that the easiest and best way is with the photo-sensitive PCB material. I can get trace width of 8 mils repeatedly. I print to over-head transparency material, expose on a photographic light-box, develop in dilute NaOH and etch in a cocktail of H2O2 and HCl.

There's a very good PCB user group on Yahoo --

I have done small PCB's with non-photosensitive material directly on an HP7475A plotter. Anything greater than about 4 square inches has too much mass to use a plotter. You can then trance over the plotted lines with a waterproof sharpie.
Old 21st February 2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

And there is allways Press N Peel ,I get quite Thin and consistant Traces useing PNP even though I allways try to keep the Traces and pads as Fat as possible in the space allowing but when building things like active electronics for guitars you sometimes have to make a curcuit fit on a 1sq in Area or smaller....

I have also had very good results just useing my Lazer printer to print on to Magazine paper ,It also gives quite good results ,allmost as good as PNP.....

also another tip is instead of useign expensive etchant like Amonium persulfate or ferric chloride you can save a lot of money and even time useing a mixture of 2 parts hydrogen Peroxide with 1 part muriotic acid ,I find this is the Fastest and cheapest etchant arround, just don"t breathe in the fumes or get it on your skin......

Good luck
Old 21st February 2008, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
I think that the easiest and best way is with the photo-sensitive PCB material. I can get trace width of 8 mils repeatedly. I print to over-head transparency material, expose on a photographic light-box, develop in dilute NaOH and etch in a cocktail of H2O2 and HCl.

There's a very good PCB user group on Yahoo --

I have done small PCB's with non-photosensitive material directly on an HP7475A plotter. Anything greater than about 4 square inches has too much mass to use a plotter. You can then trance over the plotted lines with a waterproof sharpie.

But then come the FUN!!!..Drilling the result. I have trouble keeping the small carbide drill bits from breaking .....Anybody got a system for successful drilling???
Old 21st February 2008, 04:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Minion, have you found that the 2 parts hydrogen Peroxide with 1 part muriotic acid needs to be heated 10-20 degrees above room temperature to make it work good? I found that it was utterly slow at room temperature.
Old 21st February 2008, 05:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just Now I found from web site make PCB with Positive 20. can you tell me about Positive 20 ? this a brand merk or name of chemical..

Thank! for all your replay.
Old 21st February 2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidallancole
Minion, have you found that the 2 parts hydrogen Peroxide with 1 part muriotic acid needs to be heated 10-20 degrees above room temperature to make it work good? I found that it was utterly slow at room temperature.

Actually I haven"t had that problem ,I use it at room Temp and I actually notice that the Chemical reaction happens right away and starts to create it"s own Heat....It takes maybe 5 min for a Small PCB (3 in SQ) and maybe 10 min for a large one(6+ in SQ)....

The trick is to keep agitateing the Acid mixture ,I usually put the acid and the PCB in a sealed Plastic baggie and put that in a tupperware container with an air tight lid and just shake it for a few minutes and it is done ,I also get a faster etch if I put a bit more acid in the Mixture.....

Cheers
Old 21st February 2008, 05:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Drilling made easy...

Hi,

i use a Drill Stand like this one:

http://www.minicrafttools.com/28606.html

works 100%, easy to use, and no broken bits...

Michael
Old 21st February 2008, 05:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Drilling made easy...

Quote:
Originally posted by atarashi
Hi,

i use a Drill Stand like this one:

http://www.minicrafttools.com/28606.html

works 100%, easy to use, and no broken bits...

Michael

Thanks .... maybe I could send the bits and boards to you and wind up with Boards made In Vienna .... I'm getting so old my hands dont work anymore.....seems everything goes wrong.
Old 21st February 2008, 06:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You can go for photosensitive pcb but the trick is the proper contact of the mask on the board. I use g-gramps with a home made exposure box.

Etching : ferrichloride is used you will find all you need for etching for quite cheap...guess where fish aquarium shop. Air pump + aquarium heater will do the job and they sell the plastic tubes you need.

Developping: tried caustic soda its bad am using sodium hypochloride it develops great within seconds.

Try doing each step one by one until you get good results. Tiem, required, amount and concentration of solution is important easiest is to try with small pieces of pcb until you get each step right

Hide this!Advertise here!