Desk Maintenance.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2008, 03:35 PM   #1
jethdub is offline jethdub  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Desk Maintenance..

I have been asked to clean up a particularly sorry looking Mackie Desk.. I expect to open it up and blast some air around, check all cabling/connections as there are a few channels with intermitent signal, if the fader tracks are accessible I'll clean with some kind of solvent...
Just wondering if anyone has any advice (or links to) on the better solvents to use for cleaning faders etc, or any other tips on things particularly worth checking once I get her open.
Old 8th February 2008, 07:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Caig Deoxit for cleaning the pots.
Old 8th February 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Give any idc connections special attention. They are often the source of problems in mackies.
Old 8th February 2008, 08:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Just finished a GL3300, and halfway through a ML3000. I'll get back to you after I've eaten my tea.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th February 2008, 09:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Okay here we go.

Put on the kettle.

Put on some nice sounds in the background.

Take a photo of the desk.

Steal your significant other's toothbrush.

Find an old teeshirt.

The kettle should have boiled by now, so make a nice cup of tea, (or coffee if you prefer), and pour about half a pint of boiling water into a bowl or bucket, and top up with an equal amount of cold, and add a tablespoon of sugar soap, or laundry detergent. Mix well.

Carry the bowl and your beverage of choice back to your workbench.

Pull off all the knobs and fader caps and put them in the detergent. If you get confused, and put them in the hot beverage, go back two steps and try again.

Fetch a bottle of your chosen brand of window cleaner, spray on toothbrush, and proceed to scrub accumulated dirt off the desk, wiping soiled cleaner off with old teeshirt as you go, so no liquid builds up. Take occasional sips of beverage to break up the routine.

For sticky marks such as old tape or labels, use isopropyl alcohol spray, (I like the RS stuff), on a dry corner of the teeshirt. Don't use acetone based solvents or you risk taking off the screenprint, and never spray anything directly on the desk.

Once grime is removed to your satisfaction, take the bowl of caps and knobs back to the kitchen. Put in the sink plug, (to catch any losses), and drain knobs in colander. Rinse under cold tap, shake off excess moisture and dry with teatowel

Return to desk, and with reference to earlier photo, replace all knobs in correct positions.

Rinse toothbrush, and place back in bathroom.

You should now have a nice sparkly clean desk that is much more pleasant to work on.

Part two continues tomorrow.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th February 2008, 12:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have to say I'd be a little insecure about attacking it with a bucket of hot water..and am more concerned about internal cleaning of the electronics..ie faders etc..
As for the screenprinting..there isn't any left on it..well, maybe there is under all the scum..

Looking forward to the next installment anyway..Thanks.
Old 9th February 2008, 05:08 AM   #7
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Well, its not a desk, but the Sansui I cleaned was older than me...

First phase was with the vacuum cleaner, with that attachment that looks like a small brush... easy to rub off the big chunks, and they get sucked away, right there... and then and old toothbrush
Old 9th February 2008, 08:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Jethdub, I have cleaned lots of desks, some worth tens of thousands, and I haven't broken one yet.

The reason I start with a good scrub on the outside is that it is much nicer to work on a clean desk. If you follow the instructions above, the hot water never touches the desk and the window cleaning spray is very benign stuff. It isn't in contact with the desk very long anyway if you wipe up as you go.

Nordic, a vacuum is a good approach for hifi, but because of the sweat and oils on fingers and the continual handling, a little more aggressive approach is required for desks.

Have to pop out now, but I'll post part two later.
Old 9th February 2008, 08:29 AM   #9
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I generally use a product from my local 'pound' shop, sold as foaming wheel cleaner (for cars). It's very similar to the foam cleansers sold by electronics suppliers - may well be the same stuff: it even smells the same - but much cheaper. No harm has come to anything to date, and it's very effective at removing the typical dusty, greasy mess on vintage (or otherwise well-used) gear.
Old 12th February 2008, 04:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I was looking forward to part two...

Hide this!Advertise here!