Dip Hole clogged - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2008, 01:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Angry Dip Hole clogged

Hello,

I am replacing some 8 dip opamps. I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to this. I have read thru these forums and looked at many videos and thought I bought the correct tools.

I have a 15 amp simple gun. And a hot desoldering bulb gun from radio shack (horrible). I sucessfully removed the first opamp, but somehow in doing so one of the dip holes has become clogged. the tip is too large to fit inside the hole, and i have tried everything short of a hammer to unclogg it. Since I was just removing 2 small components, I didn't see the need to use desoldering braid since I bought the "vaccum" maybe thats where I went wrong. Will that get thru that tiny hole?

Any other suggestions?? What is a decent "real" vacuum desoldering gun for not so much money??
Old 1st February 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Fill the hole up with fresh solder and use desoldering wick.
Old 1st February 2008, 02:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
What is desoldering wick? Is that the same stuff as the desoldering braid at radio shack?
Old 1st February 2008, 02:13 PM   #4
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Dip Hole clogged

I have a radio shack desoldering iron (with the bulb), and I also use desoldering braid. Cleaning out holes can be a pain, but it is definitely do-able - just be patient. The trick with the desoldering iron is to first maker sure the solder has melted - when there is very little solder between the iron and board, there is poor thermal contact, and often the solder doesn't get hot enough to melt. Second, you have to get a good seal between the 'O' on the desoldering iron and the pad, otherwise no air flows through the hole you're trying to clear.

But here is the real trick: refill the hole with solder, then try and remove it. Don't be skimpy. It works wonders. Either a desolder braid or the bulb/iron can be used. Typically I use the braid if there is no part in the hole (or if I'm too lazy to wait for the iron to heat up). I suggest you buy some, its very handy, just make sure you buy the type that has flux already on it. Conversely, I use the desoldering iron if there is a part through the hole, it works better at getting the solder up past tight places.

EDIT: Anon1 beat me to it..
Old 1st February 2008, 02:18 PM   #5
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

wick and braid are the same thing. The braid at radioshack isn't all that great, IMHO. It works though. I don't think it has flux on it, so you have to add flux to the braid each time you use it. I get mine from mouser or digikey - Pro Wick, size 5, 1805-5f looks to be the product id.
Old 1st February 2008, 02:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thanks! Really appreciate all the help.
Old 1st February 2008, 02:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I use the radioshack stuff exclusively because I'm cheap and hate to mail order. It works fairly well for me, but I've never used any other kind so I can't say how it compares. I do believe it has some flux in it as it leaves a slight residue when heated.
Old 1st February 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

As I use cheap plumbers' flux (cleaing it with acetone afterwards for my preffered price/performance point), I have a tub of the stuff.
I jsut dip the braid in the flucx first before using it, works twice as well then. SOmetimes I will even just use normal braided wire and some flux to suck up some solder. (I'm terribly lazy when it comes to looking for stuff like my rol of braid, and too disorganised to keep it in one spot.
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

If the PCB isn"t through hole Plated I simply use a small cobalt drill bit to re drill the hole.....
Old 6th February 2008, 12:11 PM   #10
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

A clogged hole can be most easily cleaned by using a bamboo toothpicker while heating the hole with the soldering iron.

Hide this!Advertise here!