ROHS vs non-ROHS compliant components - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2008, 08:50 PM   #1
mtl777 is offline mtl777  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ROHS vs non-ROHS compliant components

Are non-ROHS compliant components generally better performing than their ROHS compliant counterparts? Given the same component that is available as either ROHS or non-ROHS compliant, which one would you prefer to use (assuming your application does not require ROHS compliance)?

In particular, I am using lead-based 60/40 solder and am wondering if it is better to buy the non-ROHS compliant Chemicon KMG series capacitors for use with this type of solder than to buy the EKMG ROHS compliant version of the same series. What do you think?

In general, if your application does not require ROHS compliance, which of the following is best as far as performance is concerned (not considering any environmental/health issues)?

1. Use non-ROHS solder with non-ROHS component;
2. Use non-ROHS solder with ROHS component;
3. Use ROHS solder with ROHS component;
4. Use ROHS solder with non-ROHS component.

Lastly, I still have lots of 60Sn/40Pb solder and would rather not switch to lead-free, but sometimes a component is available only as ROHS compliant. Is it OK to use this solder with ROHS compliant components or do I have to use lead-free?

Thanks!
Old 18th January 2008, 09:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ROHS vs non-ROHS compliant components

Quote:
Originally posted by mtl777
Are non-ROHS compliant components generally better performing than their ROHS compliant counterparts?
I'm no expert, but most devices I have seen that come in both RoHS and non-RoHS have the same specs listed, so performance should be the same.

Quote:
Given the same component that is available as either ROHS or non-ROHS compliant, which one would you prefer to use (assuming your application does not require ROHS compliance)?
If RoHS is not a requirement (as it's not here in the US), then non-RoHS is preferred.(google for "tin whiskers and RoHS")

Quote:
In particular, I am using lead-based 60/40 solder and am wondering if it is better to buy the non-ROHS compliant Chemicon KMG series capacitors for use with this type of solder than to buy the EKMG ROHS compliant version of the same series. What do you think?
RoHS components will solder fine with any lead based solder, so the RoHS compliant capacitor is fine in terms of solderability.

Quote:
In general, if your application does not require ROHS compliance, which of the following is best as far as performance is concerned (not considering any environmental/health issues)?

1. Use non-ROHS solder with non-ROHS component;
2. Use non-ROHS solder with ROHS component;
3. Use ROHS solder with ROHS component;
4. Use ROHS solder with non-ROHS component.
1. (again, see google for "tin whiskers and RoHS"

Quote:
Lastly, I still have lots of 60Sn/40Pb solder and would rather not switch to lead-free, but sometimes a component is available only as ROHS compliant. Is it OK to use this solder with ROHS compliant components or do I have to use lead-free?
Leaded solder is fine and preferred.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have also posted some RoHS information on this forum.
See:

http://tinyurl.com/28moed

ZAP
Old 19th January 2008, 07:15 PM   #4
mtl777 is offline mtl777  United States
diyAudio Member

Great info! Thank you so much, guys. Now I know about tin whiskers and will avoid ROHS as much as possible!
Old 24th January 2008, 07:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Generally speaking, Tin/Lead non RoHS terminations are usually specified for military and space applications where long term stability and reliability are a must.
The general industry doesn't usually have such harsh requirements, and therefore are not so much bothered by the wisker effect on 100% tin plating.

Hide this!Advertise here!