Highest power dissipation JFET?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks!

Thanks to all for great answers.

I will check out depletion mode FET's. Great suggestion!

What I am using this for is output stage of pre-amp and input stage of power amp. I have already made a Pearl with 8 parallel 2SK170 for input stage, and another power project with parallel 2SK170 (just about to get tested) with small individual source resistors (as suggested here by Peranders) and a MOSFET cascode at 10V. I do feel, however that it would be more practical not to have to match up a load of JFET's every time I wanted to build something :)

The main reason for wanting higher output power is that I want to have the output impedance of the JFET output stage of the pre-amp as low as possible. I am using other tricks to help here also, but with my current topology I would be best served without high input capacitance resulting from parallel operation.

Thanks again :)

Petter

Pettr: I have some experience with the Siliconix depletion MOSFETs. They are suitable for cascoding (when you would prefer not to have a separate bias circuit), but if your thought is to use these as output devices, in my opinion, JFETs sound considerably better.

Here are two high-current idss JFETs that I can recommend for follower duties:

N-ch: 2N4856. Minimum idss, 50mA. Maximum idss, 175mA.

P-ch: 2N5114. Minimum idss, 30mA. Maximum idss, 90mA.

The breakdown voltages are not very high, so I recommend that you keep the voltages constant with a bootstrapped cascode. Used as preamp output devices, in practice they can work quite well, are not too fragile (only if you bootstrap cascode them effectively), and can sound very good.

hth, jonathan carr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.