Data on a GI428C diode anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Parts games, addictive and potentially a HUGE waste of time.

D.A.T.A 1963 and 1970 show no GI entries in index. No later editions available.

GI databook 1988 shows lots of GIxxx rectifiers, but no 400 series.

Motorola and GE replacement guides (like NTE but extinct) show a few GIxxx
rectifier entries. 1977 ECG shows nothing of interest. Current NTE listings are also few and incomplete. For some reason replacement lines don’t pick up the GI series of rectifiers. No 400 series.

So, it appears that your part is from the 1970s or early 1980s. I assume that it has no colorband identification so that eliminates the 1960s.

Nothing in datasheetarchive or military databases. Nothing from google search.

A 1N428 is not listed in any old databook. Motorola 1970 has industry-wide rectifier data and it is not listed. Only a 429.

The GI428 was probably made for only a few years. It doesn’t seem to be a private number.

Newark 1983 catalog has GI semiconductors, but no diodes or rectifiers, and the semiconductor index shows no GIxxx.

I thought I had an old GI databook somewhere. If I find it I will post any good results. Mark

Sorry 'bout that. You found even more sources than I did, but with not much more success. I wouldn't bother with them, except I have a couple hundred in a bag, and the reverse recovery plug-in says they're quite fast, and the curve tracer doesn't show breakdown until near 1kV. Thus, I peg it as a fast silicon rectifier that's probably rated at 200-400V in the non-existent data sheet. Too nice to throw out. Fortunately, I'm braver than the average soul when it comes to using house numbers and unknown parts, as long as I can measure them. Thanks for looking! :cool:

It worked out quite well, actually. I discovered that a roach had been nibbling (and other nasty things) on the back side of some of the databooks in a stack.

I did find that General Semiconductor also makes some GI part numbers, but this is probably a dead end.

The GI428 may be a private number. I have a bag of UT446 rectifiers that are not a standard number in the UT lineup. I emailed Unitrode and the found that it was a private number with no available data except the description: rectifier. Dates back to a proprietary design for an oil company in the 60s.

I always learn something. In reality it is never a waste of time. Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.