Socket Head Screws for Heatsinks? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2007, 02:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Socket Head Screws for Heatsinks?

I'm wanting to get away from standard / Philips screws for securing devices to heatsinks... they just don't work so well. So, any recommendations?

I have to place an order at www.fastener-express.com anyways, so now's a good time (hopefully I can place it today!)

The base of my heatsink is 3/8" and I'll be attaching TO-220 devices.
Old 21st December 2007, 02:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not sure if you thought of this already, but I found good hex drive socket screws in the hardware section at Home Depot! Used them in my Aleph 30 amp to screw the front plate to the heat sinks.
Old 21st December 2007, 03:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ah, well, I figured I'm placing an order there anyways... I'm thinking about some 4-40 x 1/4 Socket Head Cap Screw Stainless Steel (versus Alloy Steel). I'm not sure I can larger than 4-40 and I don't know if 1/4" is too deep or not... but if I don't get any other replies, I'll probably go with these
Old 21st December 2007, 04:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Always use a hardened washer under a socket head cap screw! Especially with soft metals like aluminum or copper heat sinks.
Old 21st December 2007, 06:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

With anything that changes temperature, you should use a lockwasher. I prefer split ring types. Avoid button head cap screws, as they tend to strip out easily. If that happens, slot it with a cutoff wheel and remove it with a standard screwdriver.
Old 21st December 2007, 06:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

How does your vendor compare with McMaster for fasteners. My son and I order from McMaster about every other week.
Old 22nd December 2007, 01:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I use these Black Oxide Button Heads for just about everything. I love 'em! I use a lot of 6x32x1/4, and have never had one strip. (use QUALITY allen wrenches / hex keys and you won't have a problem).
I don't use lockwashers either. These tend to snug up tight and stay that way. You get a distinctive SNAP whenever you try to loosen them. Can't really explain it... but they really work well.

The link is to Nutty Fasteners, who have always provided good service in the past, but their pricing has gone exponential lately. Or perhaps the dollar is crashing exponentially.

I will probably go with MSC or McMaster-Carr on my next order.
McMaster-Carr is one of my favorite toy stores. They have a huge inventory, they ship quick for cheap, and they've never screwed up on my orders. Competence like that is rare these days.
Old 24th December 2007, 04:23 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you're in a reasonably large city, there's probably a place that deals in specialty fasteners (Pacific Fastener in Vancouver, for example). If you're near a large body of water, marine suppliers carry a range of stainless fasteners.
Old 24th December 2007, 04:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

thanks everyone!

I went ahead and got the lock washers, but since I'm going to need to use a shoulder washer to isolate the devices, where does the lock washer go? I wasn't really sure how the length was calculated with the socket head, so I went for some extra length, assuming that the quoted length includes the total length, not the length of the thread

once they get here, I'll report back
Old 24th December 2007, 04:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I used black Hex cap screws to great effect on my A30 to fasten the heatsinks to the chassis and hex head screws to fasten the to-247 irf144 FETs. They were purchased at Orchard Supply Hardware here in San Jose.

Here's a link to a thread with the picture.

The heatsink uses 1/4" by 5/16" and the fets are #6 at 1/2".

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...719#post870719

-David

Hide this!Advertise here!