Improving Heatsinks for an Amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ha! The Peltier is a very low efficiency heat pump. It might do a good job of cooling what you want to cool, but then you're stuck with the problem of cooling the Peltier. You have to remove the original heat, plus the rather large heat produced by the Peltier. They do work well for cooling small low power devices to reduce noise or stabilize temperature. I think people have cooled amplifier front ends for ultra low noise.

The auto industry tried using peltier devices on underhood devices with poor results....the units went out regularly.
Chrysler Corp tried putting the "Engine computer" inside the ducting for intake airflow, (NO heatsinks!) unfortunately this approach also made for debris collecting on said 'computer'.
____________________________________Rick........

jupiterjune said:
try Russ Boss on E:bay -- seller ID barredboss.

I've bought heatsinks from him -- they are top notch.

JJ

jupiterjune said:

Yes! He seems like THE best source for large heatsinks, in the USA.

Unfortunately, he doesn't currently have any listed on eBay. I did email him, just now, and asked if he is still going to be listing them.

I also suggested that he consider selling them directly, at diyaudio.com .

Edit:

I did find some not-as-good apparently-used ones, at:

http://stores.ebay.com/mclean-surplus

But they are only $4.99 + s/h, and are 9" x 2.5" x 1". And they say thay have lots of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.