Recycling Parts is it possible - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2003, 11:26 AM   #1
TomJ is offline TomJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Recycling Parts is it possible

Is it possible to recycle and re-use compnents from old eqiutment(i.e. television,radios,computers.....). I have a lot of old junk like this that dosn't work and is beond repair yet a lot of the components still work.

Are there any problems with doing.

The resons to me for doing this are fairly simple. firstly it would be a lot cheaper for me just to remove the components + it would be envoiromentally friendly.
Old 20th February 2003, 11:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can't see any problem with recycling old parts, providing the parts are still OK, ie if the unit was faulty before it was scrapped, make sure the parts you recycle are not the ones that caused the fault, or were damaged by the fault condition. I've done it myself before, and have lots of iron in my system that I took from dead amps, as well as tubes, sockets and some passives. Much old gear is simply thrown away because it was replaced with newer and is still working, had a minor fault that was 'too expensive to repair', junked in estate cleanouts etc. If you have a use for the part and it is still safe, it's better than it going to landfill, and cheaper for you.

Cheers
Old 20th February 2003, 11:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

how do you think most of us got started anyway -- my first ham transmitter used the 6DQ6 sweep tube -- directly keyed. I used the tuner for VHF reception with a slight mod, and oh those power transformers, particularly from early color TV's -- you could get hundreds and hundreds of watts out of them.

used test equipment also makes for great parts supplies -- and the chasis and cabinets just can't be beat. I have one instrument in which I just gutted the entire thing and used a piece of black formica to replace the front panel.

they are still "giving away" old routers and telco equipment due to the glut in networking and telco -- these are excellent rack panel sources.
Old 20th February 2003, 12:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Some companies even sell industy surplus PCBs for price that
is a fraction of the component value, although this seems less
common nowadays than it used to.

As Jack said, desoldering componentes from old stuff is the way
many of got our first components. Keep in mind, however, that
some components, eg. electrolytics, age and might not be in
good shape. Also take care that some old or odd equipment
might be hazardous to work with. Old residual solder flux might
be more toxic than modern ones. Some equipment may use
transistors or insulators that contain Beryllium oxide etc.
Old 20th February 2003, 02:12 PM   #5
Jeff R is offline Jeff R  United States
diyAudio Member

Ham fests and flea markets are a great way to get parts, though you might have to go through a lot of items to find what you need. Sometimes at these places you can find bags of unused parts that are perfectly fine.

As Christer says, older electrolytic capacitors might not be worth salvaging, but they still might be worth a try due to the cost of new ones.
Old 20th February 2003, 03:19 PM   #6
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
This is also the best way to get cheap transformers for nearly nothing.
Old 20th February 2003, 08:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

With Capacitor you said that some of them might have aged if you test them and there allright can you use them or do they deteriorate in the circuit.

The toxicity isn,t a big problem since i will be doing all the desoldering outside.(it is easer to bring my soldering iron outside to take a few parts and leave the rest than to take it inside and upthe stairs, take the parts of and have to carry it back down the stairs
Old 20th February 2003, 09:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
With Capacitor you said that some of them might have aged if you test them and there allright can you use them or do they deteriorate in the circuit.
With an ESR Tester you may be able to determine the health of older caps, but in general if I have a circuit that I care about, I use new electrolytics. Old ones just shouldn't be trusted.
Old 21st February 2003, 07:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm looking for speaker crossover parts. In which devices I'm I likely to find them? caps, inductors, resistors...

please don't answer "in old speakers"
Old 21st February 2003, 12:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think I will stick with what you said about capaitors and buy new one they are Quite cheap so it is probably the best way of doing it since the ESR meter would pay for a hell of a lot of capacitors.

Are ther any makes of resistors, transformers, transistors to be wary of and are ther any to look out for.

Pressumembly if the equitment is fairly new you can use the capacitors if they are electroliytic.

Hide this!Advertise here!