NE5532 vs NE5534

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any performance issues that would lead you to prefer one over the other?

The only differences between the two that I know of is that the 5534 is a single op amp package and that it may require a compensation cap. The 5532 is a dual package and that comp cap is internal.

I have recently heard that the 5534 is a little more desirable from a performance stand point. Is it only because of the comp cap or is there another reason?

Hi,
the dual package has to dissipate twice as much heat for the same input/output conditions, this must affect performance.
The dual only has access to the three standard in/out pins, whereas the single has all 6pins available.
The internal unity gain compensation of the dual makes it's electrical performance significantly different.
The dual must be more affected by crosstalk and PSRR issues.

Hi,

The dual versions paralleled input transistors are both used
by the single version - hence the lower input noise of the single.

At line level differences are not much, but at lower levels and more
gain, e.g. a MM phono amplifier the single advantages can be used.

For active filters, buffers, low gain line stages etc, not much in it.

For audio performance / price nothing gets near them.

:)/sreten.

How does the 5532 compare with LM6172? My Delta 1010 soundcard was modified by someone and he replaced the stock 5532's with LM6172's. I wonder if it really made an improvement as I don't have an original unit with 5532's to compare side by side. Is the LM6172 supposed to be superior, at least on paper, to the 5532? Is it supposed to make a huge night-and-day difference?

AndrewT said:
Hi,
the dual package has to dissipate twice as much heat for the same input/output conditions, this must affect performance.
The dual only has access to the three standard in/out pins, whereas the single has all 6pins available.
The internal unity gain compensation of the dual makes it's electrical performance significantly different.
The dual must be more affected by crosstalk and PSRR issues.

I'm sorry - PSRR?

PSRR- power supply rejection ratio. The National LME amps should be better than the 5534 in about every regard but IMO, it should be tough, if not impossible, to tell the difference between properly designed circuits using either one. "night and day" differences between good circuits are usually exaggerations of very small differences, or wishful thinking. Or, misapplication of something like installing a high bandwidth part in a circuit laid out and bypassed for something slower, resulting in instability or actual oscillation.

I'm not sure that 5534 is exactly a half 5532...

I get always better results with two 5534, more detailled sound, and figure of distorsion are sometimes 20 dB under specifications : Wiring and decoupling are very, very critical.

Surprising good sound of 5534 used without no printed circuit board at all... very exciting !

PL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.